Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles

I've said it before, but I think younger folks are getting an increasingly harder deal. See the university thread for one example. I'm not sure how easy things might be for my own kids.

Not sure about that. Kids these days have lots more resources than what we had growing up. When I needed to look something up, I went to the library.

I think exams have gotten a lot easier too. GCEs in my day. A levels for getting into U. Now you have what? GCSEs that are to be made easier so that more people can pass. IB for international recognition.

The reason University places are so hard to come by now is the allocation for FOREIGN FEE paying students who actually keep the universities afloat. And why are there so many foreign students now? Cos their parents can afford it and are willing to pay for it.

Kids these days don't know they're born.
Quote:
The reason University places are so hard to come by now is the allocation for FOREIGN FEE paying students who actually keep the universities afloat.

I think you've got that wrong.

Every "used to be a crappy no-name college" is now a "University", and it's easy to get in somewhere. Maybe not in the "best" places, but not hard to get on courses. That's one of the problems. Too many people go now to crappy colleges.

Liverpool used to have the University (the proper one with a history) and the Polytechnic. The uni actually has a really good reputation, red brick and all. Then the Poly because a university. Then some other college that no-one knows about became a "university". I suppose decent employers know the difference.

As for kids, this is probably a middle aged thing to say but --- they really are spoilt and get so much, so early, with no effort.
It's going to cause big big problems in the near future, Paul the octopus said.
Being too spoilt is not a good thing.

I am the same age as you Mr Wiggles and I am also happy NOT to be doing the whole teenager/young adult uncertainty thing again. I have great compassion for my kids as they traverse that minefield!

I think it is important though to make sure we realize Middle Age is the middle....not the crest of the end. Some people just get so sedentary and boring when they get older....me?...I am going out disgracefully and laughing, not all demure and doing the knitting wink

And as for aches and pains that come with this lifestyle....well that is what anti-inflammatory's, onsen, massage and alcohol is for wink

Pffft!! You youngsters!

62 and just thinking about heading into early middle age!

As GN said, each decade just gets better! Roll on 70! (and then I can really retire - take the pension and live disgracefully forever!

explian why the youngsters are having a hard time now. It's 'cos they're thick. Stupid little bastards.

My little angel though is gonna get everything. If it aint Harvard, then perhaps Yale, or if really slumming it, Oxbridge.

Originally Posted By: thursday

The reason University places are so hard to come by now is the allocation for FOREIGN FEE paying students who actually keep the universities afloat. And why are there so many foreign students now? Cos their parents can afford it and are willing to pay for it.

This is because governemnts have progressively cut public funding for tertiary education putting the onus on the universities to become profit driven entities. This has meant that they have to fill more and more places with full fee paying students. It has also meant that universities now work much closer with private industry to tailor courses to specific industries so as to get funding for research. This has meant many courses that do not have direct industry applications have been dropped over the years. In my opinion many universities have become less places of learning and more places purely for vocational studies. Not a great thing in my opinion.

You should see the university recruiting circuses that come to town. Amazing!!

Last week was Canada, this week UK, next month Aus. And of course those loverly US colleges.

there was a time I suspected he was a retard. I suggested to my wife that we should have him put down. But she got a second opinion and that was quite opposite to mine. He stays. For the time being...

That's a good song but it doesn't sound as motivational as the title!

Young folks have the Internet, downloads, and historically cheap drugs (!) to keep them entertained, but the cost of living has been going up way more than wages if you include going to college and getting a house. On the pension front, you have to wonder what the retirement age will be in 2030 and whether there will be one penny to rub together left in the pot.

Just been reading up on Mark Hollis / Talk Talk. Interesting story. From the fairly poppy new romantic-y (but not really) start, the brilliant Colour of Spring album and then those two increasingly meandering sparce albums that sounded like practice sessions on a late night which were highly acclaimed and then his solo album that was even more sparse if that was possible.

No-one seems to know where he is or what he is doing now.

Originally Posted By: JA
Pffft!! You youngsters!

62 and just thinking about heading into early middle age!

As GN said, each decade just gets better! Roll on 70! (and then I can really retire - take the pension and live disgracefully forever!

You're my hero JA, keep on rocking!