There's a bat in my kitchen, what am I going to do!

Came in this evening put the light on and a bat flying around in my kitchen! Kowai!

What to do! He's not following my "please get out of my aparto" instructions, no matter how kindly I ask!!!

veryshocked

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a baseball bat? Just whack its head, that will sort it out! j/k

Or you could try closing the door to the kitchen, and switch off the light.

Keep one window open. Shine a torch light outside the open window from the outside and leave it there for a few minutes.

With a bit of luck insects, moths especially will come to the light, and so then will the bat.

Not sure if this will work, but that is what I would do if I was unable to catch the bat.

Thanks snowdude.

Unfortunately something like that won't work in my apartment.

I have got him into the genkan area though and closed all the doors so he is confined to there. But however much I get him moving, he stays right up top where it's difficult to reach.

Freaking me out a bit all this!

I'm going to have to leave him there until tomorrow I think and get a big brave guy from work to come and help. They enjoy being able to do that so I'll let them for once!

Damn. Base ball bat in the kitchen, what do I do? Swing it baby.

Bats are really blind, they need sound and clicking vibrations. Play some really bad music near an open window and you're well rid of it.

Get a net of some sort and if you aren't afraid to get too close to it (remember they don't bite and can't harm you) just scoop it up. If you leave the lights on it will cower into a corner leaving it exposed. Then just swoop the net up there and toss it outside. Easy fix.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Get a net of some sort and if you aren't afraid to get too close to it (remember they don't bite and can't harm you) just scoop it up. If you leave the lights on it will cower into a corner leaving it exposed. Then just swoop the net up there and toss it outside. Easy fix.

Bats can bite and they can hurt you, big carriers of rabies. Sorry Charlotte not too much help....but be careful! smile

Try following UB40's advice when they were troubled by the rat in their kitchen.

Quote:
I'm gonna fix that rat thats what I'm gonna do,

I'm gonna fix that rat.

Simply substitute the word "rat" with "bat" and try it out!

Originally Posted By: charlotte
Thanks snowdude.
Unfortunately something like that won't work in my apartment.
I have got him into the genkan area though and closed all the doors so he is confined to there. But however much I get him moving, he stays right up top where it's difficult to reach.
Freaking me out a bit all this!
I'm going to have to leave him there until tomorrow I think and get a big brave guy from work to come and help. They enjoy being able to do that so I'll let them for once!

Yep, use that feminine advantage.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: MitchPee

Bats can bite and they can hurt you, big carriers of rabies. Sorry Charlotte not too much help....but be careful! smile

Why did you have to go and say that. Now she will be scared shitless.

I

OK I left the light on all night and this morning he was in exactly the same spot up top, hadn't moved.

A colleague from work promises to come back and save me from my bat hell this evening.

dance

I've left the light on again and there's not many places he can go.

I don't wish him harm, but I don't want him in my house!!

Think about it, you have your own bug zapper that doesn't use electricity and all you have to do is clean up after it!

Had the same thing last summer.

It was a nightmare getting the thing out and it just wouldn't do anything other than fly around madly near the ceiling.

Ended up going down the local shop to buy a net on a stick and get him that way.

I get them in my storehouse. Especially if I leave the lights on and the door open. They crap quite a lot. It has a long history of use as fertilizer. Search for "guano".

None in the house so far, but have had a couple of birds in. They go totally hyper.

OK I left the light on all night and this morning he was in exactly the same spot up top, hadn't moved.

A colleague from work promises to come back and save me from my bat hell this evening.

dance

You'd better get some wine in too. 'cos us men, doing stuff for ladies at their apartment means hanky panky is epxected.