Well Im coming over early next month to Hakuba to try and put the 1st part of my plan together and buy a block of land. After doing so I was going to come back to China after a few days and a quick trip to Yokohama to see a man about some containers but am thinking I might spend at least a couple of weeks in country.

Having already spent a couple of days in Tokyo and probably needing to do so again on the way out, Im keen to hear where else I should go have a look at. I'll be travelling by myself for most of the time so am open to pretty much anything, especially any large cultural events, having beers with SJers etc etc.

Places to come to mind already are

Hiroshima

Osaka

Kyoto

If you have a view on a likely itinenary or what sort of JR pass I should buy please let me know. Thanks.

My initial advice would be to ----- avoid! Too hot. But we're all tired of such moaning so....

North is cooler so if you hate the heat then a good idea. I would check out places like Nikko, Zao, Akita and Hokkaido.

Not so worried about the weather guys, the trip timing is being dictated by other constraints. I've lived in the Northern Territory and spent many a summer night in Bali so have an idea of what to expect. Thanks.

If you're looking for some beach action, head down to Izu. Some beautiful beaches down there and reasonably close to Tokyo. You could probably combine a Hakone trip to the mountains around Mt Fuji with a day or 2 down in Shimoda to relax on the beach

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
I've lived in the Northern Territory and spent many a summer night in Bali so have an idea of what to expect. Thanks.

Bali got nothing as far as humidity as Japan does. Mainly due to the close proximity of the ocean.