When we bought the bar in Hakodate we didn't have to do everything from scratch, just get names changed over and that was done mostly at the police station. We also had to apply for a licence to stay open past midnight and that took a couple of weeks or so. I'll see what info I can get for you.

Thanks GN. Would be a new place. Just thinking out loud........ I asked a lot when I was there in Feb what business was needed in Hakuba. One answer was a cool mid market place to hang out, chill, have a few brews, bar snacks etc. Definetly not a resturant but somewhere to go before and after one or afternoons, especially on days with rain etc. I may have a whole floor of my new place empty for a year or two. smile

Not saying Im doing this but if something like that was to open - what would people want to see or suggest in it? So far I have come up with:

WiFi

Perhaps a deck for the really nice days

Lots of couches

Wine by the bottle

Some nice books

Wii games

Bar snacks (wings, calamari, basic tapas)

Chilled out music

Movie nights

Bar tab and credit card facilities

SJ Discount cards smile

Open about 2pm (Dont want to serve lunches etc or even dinner)and gives me the mornings on the mountain.

Close 10pm when its snowing

11pm if blue skys the next day

12pm if the weather will be crap the next day smile

Free beer for overseas visitors. clap

Do you want info on how to be the mayor of Hakuba as well, pete? Perhaps opening up a new ski area? Or the govenor of Nagano-ken? wink

But good luck with it all, you sound busy. Or is that, not busy (at work!)

how about homemade bread?

only one time that i was @ mon pigeon

out of many visits.

perhaps i visit there at the wrong time of the day or something..

but still good bread might be a great way to get more people coming to your place.

ill be there if u have good bread. coolmirrors

hense my recomendation => good bread ^ o ^ /

A big selection of all the hard to get outside of thier area regional beers from around Japan and no crap on tap! (well mabey one tap for the crap for people that dont know any better and are intimidated by the unknown.)

Yep, on the nights its snowing. Pow Days will be the priority. Maybe just a little latter depending on the crowd. On the nights where the next day the snow isnt so good Id stay open whilst people are spending smile

My vision isnt a thumping bar like 902, Master B etc just a chilled out place. There isnt many options for somewhere to go and chill on the days you arent on the mountain.

Thanks mate, appreciate the input as always. Same with everyone else. I realise I'm asking for quite a bit of info of late as I am putting a business plan together and would hate to make an investment decision that is flawed because I was too cocky to ask.

if its a rain affected day, folks are going to hang around for quite a while, how about playing a few dvds during these days?

Also you have to think about the clientèle.

As you know from skiing/snowboarding, how many people come off the slopes at lunch, and want to walk 5 mins in their gear to get to a bar?

Which demographic are you aiming at: foreigners, Japanese or a mix?

How many foreigners vs Japanese finish drinking at 10pm?

Location - how far is it going to be from local slopes, bars, hotels etc?

Hi Rob really appreciate the questions as it makes me think more about this. Im not looking for a lunch time crowd as I hope to just be coming off the mountains myself then. smile

I'd imagine it will be a predomainatly foriegn crowd - target demo is the westerners staying in the surronding accomadation and those that come over to Echoland to eat and drink as its described as the main area for this in Hakuba. Id be about 50m down a side street at worse so signage and advertising would be paramount. There is a large ski school based there too and its not unknown for the odd instructor or their boss to enjoy a bevy. Obviously Japanese folks would always be warmly welcomed as would anyone really.

Re the hours, there are already a few bars in Echoland that stay open LATE. For me this will all be about lifestyle so dont want to be up at 2am cleaning up. Its the old "You dont have to go home, but you cant stay here" line. If the place was pumping I certainly would keep it going to midnight though. Having run a bar in the US before I just dont want to get caught up in drinking too much and sleeping in until mid day. The early shut will be as much about me staying sober as well as sane LOL.

The DVD's a great idea Stemik. If rain is predicted for a few days it will give me a good chance to gear up for the day and perhaps send out messages via FB and Twitter about what the day's plans are.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if a "liquor licence" even exists, but you need three sinks and a separate handbasin to serve any food and drinks. Its the same for a b&b. Your kitchen needs be separated from your serving space too by at least a half door.

A mate of mines who opened a bar in Totsuka, Yokohama said that he didn't need to get a Licquor Licence. He said that compared to opening a bar back home (he was Canadian) there was nothing to it.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
A mate of mines who opened a bar in Totsuka, Yokohama said that he didn't need to get a Licquor Licence. He said that compared to opening a bar back home (he was Canadian) there was nothing to it.

Is he running it illegally?