Just looking at the news now seems there are huge numbers of cattle and other animals being killed here because of foot and mouth.

If so, can we trust Japanese meat. Hmmmm. After all, we couldn't trust foreign meat when the foot and mouth thing was going on overseas.

Strange how they aren't calling for a ban on Japanese meat hey.

Not.

Quote:
TOKYO — Japan's prized Miyazaki beef is under threat from the country's first outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in a decade, which has spread to more than 100 farms, officials said Monday.

The health threat prompted Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama to pledge 100 billion yen (1.08 billion dollars) Monday to assist farmers who are expected to lose some 16 billion yen from slaughtering their livestock.

The outbreak, which started last month, has forced the cull of 49 seed bulls, leaving just six to continue breeding a species of cattle that produces the tender premium beef from Miyazaki prefecture on Kyushu island.

The country's famed "Wagyu" cattle -- including beef from Miyazaki, Kobe and other lush grazing regions -- first caught the world's attention following reports the Kobe brand is pampered, fed beer and massaged daily, sometimes with sake, and sometimes even treated to classical music for relaxation.

The beef is sought-after worldwide for its intense marbling with mostly unsaturated fat, and the variety from Miyazaki typically wholesales for around 160 to 320 dollars a kilogramme in Japan.

The foot-and-mouth outbreak, Japan's first since 2000, was detected on April 20 and has spread to 111 farms in Miyazaki in Japan's south, involving more than 85,000 cattle and pigs, a prefectural farm official said.

Not sure that we could ever trust Japanese meat simply based on all the false labeling scandals that have gone on... this certainly isn't going to help win back that trust. I buy most of my meat from a butcher so I have a little more faith about what I'm actually getting...

BTW, it's been awhile since the last false label scandal... anyone want to bet the next one is just around the corner?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of wagyu anyway so...

Originally Posted By: SKI

If so, can we trust Japanese meat. Hmmmm. After all, we couldn't trust foreign meat when the foot and mouth thing was going on overseas.
Strange how they aren't calling for a ban on Japanese meat hey.

Not.

Funny how peoples values change when things turn to their disadvantage isn't it.

Foot and mouth is not dangerous to humans. They destroy the cattle to stop the spread of the disease to other cattle for whom it is dangerous and very contagious.

I believe you.

I was just pointing out that when there was foot and mouth going on overseas, there was this huge panic and mistrust of "foreign" meat. Probably just an excuse to fly the flag with homegrown meat.

The pork one was Foot n Mouth as well. When the UK had a Foot n Mouth outbreak about 8 or 9 years ago there was no recall of meat, just a lot of animals got slaughtered. I was working in St.Andrews at the time and on the outskirts of the town there are a lot of pig famrs, driving along the road I could see these huge fires in the farmers field, looked a bit closer and it was all charred pig carcasses.....great smell!! yummy

"The outbreak, which started last month, has forced the cull of 49 seed bulls, leaving just six to continue breeding a species of cattle that produces the tender premium beef from Miyazaki prefecture on Kyushu island."

Listen UP!!. 6 left. If they go, then we're doomed.

Has Japan ever banned Aussie beef? Do Australians feed cattle other animals or chicken manure? The US government doesn't care whether American companies do.

I think you'll find Australia banned US beef too.

how does the UK Meat industry size up to America? It seems that all the negative feeding practices we hear about come out of America, I would love to know whether the UK industry is just as bad and keeping quiet or is actually better. Of course we had the mad-cow outbreak a while back and the foot n mouth, but I can't recall ever hearing about the feeding practices etc

They fed spinal waste from slaughter houses back to the cattle.

And as recently as 2001, "Government scientists have found direct evidence to support the theory that the BSE epidemic was originally caused by feeding cattle the rendered carcasses of sheep infected with scrapie."