Mobile wireless access point thingy

Yes, all that high tech jargon...

Tethering is what you're doing - your phone connection to provide your computer (or iPad) with an internet connection.

Jailbreaking - google 'jailbreaking iphone' and you'll get the idea.

That's good that you're unlocked in HK and tethering is officially supported. That's how it should be everywhere.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know that.

Let me rephrase.

Turn it on, wait a short while and then you can connect wifi using the foma card connection.

Whatever, it's exactly like using a wifi connection.

Anyway, having said that. You could've used your iphone tethering on bluetooth to connect to the internets on 3G network, without having the lass to cancel on your delivery appointment.

The foma card is the docomo card that I use in my phone.

Or in my data connection device.

Really, I'm not in the least bit interested in all the tech details thursday, so pick it apart as much as you want! All I need to know is that it works and how much it costs.

Well the whole point was me wanting to connect to Docomo, which is surely 3g right?

Couldn't do that normally because the ipad is locked into Softbank. Works out good though because what I have now I can connect other things as well, it's not just the ipad.

Just found out Asahi-net have started a wireless connection service for 380 yen a month (first two months free no obligation trial) for Asahi members. I use them for my net connection so I will probably try that. Not quite as comprehensive as using a foma connection but doesn't require a docomo internet connection, so a lot cheaper, handier for the light user.

The docomo one is a maximum of 5980 yen a month, but if you do not use it at all, I think it's 1050 yen basic charge. Between those two numbers it goes up as you use it more but as you might expect it fairly quickly gets to the 5980 yen level. So I wouldn't recommend it for light users really.

Actually pie-eater is right.

Just 30 mins or so of concentrated web viewing - not video or anything just normal sites - will very likely get up to the upper limit.

Basically I am prepared for it to be that much each month and people on it should. It's good that there is a lower charge if you don't use it like when I'm back in the uk etc.