Anyone here with a fave pub?

So many pubs have gone downhill recently.

First there was all the modern theme pubs, then just running down in general and closing down. There's less and less still open.

One I love is called the Bottle & Glass pub in Aylesbury.

Great place and lots of memories.

Aussie pubs are generally crap. Mostly a place for drunks and gamblers to congregate.

Taverns on the other hand are quite pleasant. Smoke free family friendly places that serve a decent meal. Zero character though.

Unfortunately, I dont think the US has the Pub scene like you do in the UK. At least, not from experience. I think the closest thing youll find in the States are the college towns. Athens, Ga was pretty badass in that respect; so in college I did have a few places I was a regular at and from what I hear, theyre still around too. I havent been back there for 8 years.

No favorite pubs in Kansai, just favorite restaurants.

the pubs in the UK are marvellous. Beer gardens, games rooms, regulars who hate fresh faces, landlords who hate money, kids banned from all areas deemed pub premises. Altogether a unique experience.

• 1 month later...

estimated there are 40 pubs closing each week in the UK. With imminent 20% VAT on beer, they reckon there will be more. Civil unrest as the British way of life succumbs to pub-less villages.

The railway hotel in St Agnes Cornwall, because the roof is really low and it makes me feel tall.

The Pacific Hotel (I think) in Yamba NSW for a great views and not kicking us out when we started smashing our guitars.

What was Thommos at Mooloolaba Qld but now long gone. Many messy nights and Sunday Sess's there growing up.

LeCreme Cafe, really a bar, in a car park at the beach in Hossegor France. Epic place after a surf.

Could go on boring you but will go see what is happening in the cheese and world cup thread smile

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Anyone here with a fave pub?

So many pubs have gone downhill recently.
First there was all the modern theme pubs, then just running down in general and closing down. There's less and less still open.

One I love is called the Bottle & Glass pub in Aylesbury.
Great place and lots of memories.

Yep, the fridge out in the shed - each day I try to perform the following wind-down ritual: home from work change into old comfortable clothes, go out to said fridge and crack a cold one or three, open the chook pen to let the chooks out onto the lawn for a run (better quality eggs!), sip the beer and talk to the chooks ... don't get no arguments there!

Everyone should have a ritual to wind down. cheers
Originally Posted By: Mantas
Aussie pubs are generally crap. Mostly a place for drunks and gamblers to congregate.

Taverns on the other hand are quite pleasant. Smoke free family friendly places that serve a decent meal. Zero character though.

That's a pretty big generalisation.

I tend to agree that a lot of suburban pubs are crap, but some of the ones in the inner city have a real buzz. Most country pubs are great for all the family - if you pick the right place, you can also get cheap local foods e.g. locally butchered grass fed beef/lamb, seafood, even camel or croc!