A stupid, yet simple, question.

Now if anyone has ever tried to contact the DVLA in the UK, you'd realise what a bunch of muppets they are.

Just spent 10mins going around in circles, trying to find out what the definition is, in the DVLA's opinion of what a UK resident is?

A simple question, yet the answer wasn't straightforward, well didn't even get one. All the lady said was you are a resident of the UK. When I quizzed her what this means, she repeated the above statement. And I asked her to explain this. She repeated the above statement. And again. And again. And I put the phone down on her.

So if anyone of the UK forumites here could please find me an answer for this, it would be great. biggrin

A UK resident - is someone who resides in the UK, legally (i.e. they have a UK/EU passport or the appropriate visa)...I think...

The taxes component wouldn't be a factor in all cases would it - I am sure there are plenty of charming people who have never worked a day in their lives, therefore never paid taxes - who are undisputed UK residents.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
A UK resident - is someone who resides in the UK, legally (i.e. they have a UK/EU passport or the appropriate visa)...I think...

Oh if it were that simple.

I have a UK passport, am a UK citizen, and a UK address, yet according to some places I am not a resident, but am Japanese. :S Go figure.

Normally you can play it both ways and pretend to be uk resident even if you live in japan. Its a grey area if you are living overseas temporarily, noone can be arsed to check so as longas you have a british name (does that exist anymore?) and proper sounding address you will get away with it. My wife had a baby for free in uk despite being japanese and on student visa.

How long do the licenses last Rob?

If you are snookered could you not fly back to the UK, use a family members address and have your pic taken at the licensing center? Then fly back to Japan?

We can renew for one or five years here in Aus. I would do it for 5yrs, and then know that I need to take a trip home once every 5 years to renew it. Tick some other family jobs off the list while I was at it.

This is the stupid thing mb.

In the UK, we have a photocard license that lasts for ten years and the paper counterpart which has all the endorsements written on it valid for around 60years.

Yet if the photocard runs out then technically your license is invalid.

The catch is the resident part on the application form as I haven't resided in the UK for 6years now.

This is the stupid thing mb.

In the UK, we have a photocard license that lasts for ten years and the paper counterpart which has all the endorsements written on it valid for around 60years.

Yet if the photocard runs out then technically your license is invalid.

The catch is the resident part on the application form as I haven't resided in the UK for 6years now.

So you just need to renew your UK license? I let my Aus license expire years ago and just used my Japanese license on the one time I went back there in the last 5 years.

Quote:
as longas you have a british name (does that exist anymore?)

It's a fahct that Mohamhead is the most common British firstname now. And you are no longer allowed to call the first name the "Christian" name.

The original drving license from the DVLA was not designed to last until your 70th birthday. They were forced to do it 'cos of the crappy power of their computer system. It just couldn't cope.

Remember the "tear along dotted line" on the license for change of address form? Good speeding joke that.