Intestesting comment from Chriselle

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthread...html#Post357140

So, how long has/did your honeymoon with Japan last?

I suppose things were very different - new, fun, everything novel - when I first came here but I have grown to love other things whilst falling out with others. I know for sure that there will be a lot of things I would hate if I went to live back in my home country and surely most people could say that too.

My views on Japan have certainly changed since I first came but generally I love living here in this beautiful place and don't have any major issues.

thumbsup

Oh, just wish winter would last longer and summer would be (much!) shorter.

lol

You mean winter with lots of snowing days...

Summer can't be that bad where you live compared to places like Tokyo (hotter due to the sum of all air conditioners' expelled hot air) or Yamanashi (bonchi land). I'd love to be near the beach though.

I had issues with Japan when I was younger... some things have changed and somethings haven't. Isn't that the case whether it's the place or me myself. I think I can go back and live there for a while.

Yes, the honeymoon is over. Here's our story..

Ms. J and I met in a bar one night with a good friend introducing her to me. Actually, I was really interested in the friend as she was really cute. The friend began to tell me all about Ms. J and little by little I found myself becoming increasingly attracted to her. The more I got to know the more I wanted to see her so one day I just showed up at her door.

She invited me in and a world of exotic wonder exploded upon me. I was mesmerized by her grace, simplistic complexity and stunning beauty. From the very first day together we got along famously and spent every waking and non-waking (if you know what I mean kiss ) moment together.

My friends and family were very concerned whether the relationship would work but like most fools in love we decided to jump in and commit after a year of being together.

The first five years we were so in love and couldn't get enough of each other. Every day was a new and wonderful adventure.

From years 5 to 10 things started to cool down a bit and we often disagreed on many things but all in all we respected each other and got along very well and remained in love.

From that time five more years have passed. Our love has matured like all aspects of our relationship and although we rarely hold hands or google into each other eyes like those first few years of un-bridled passion, we find comfort in sharing each others company and look forward to growing old together....

biggrin wavey

OK.... so you were being clever then, Big Chris. lol

I think maybe those of is living outside of Japan could best describe their relationship with Japan as an exciting and clandestine affair evilgrin Sneaking naughty moments where ever possible.

My relationship with Japan has changed little over the years. I guess because I didn't really come here with many preconceptions. Also I don't think I came here for the same reasons many others do. For instance I was already married so I wasn't the 'Charisma Man' stereotype of nerdy westerner suddenly finding himself popular with ladies when he arrived here (I know plenty like that though). I had never had much of an interest in the language or culture or history and knew very little about the place really. What I found in Niseko though was a place almost like no other I'd ever been that could satisfy my lifelong obsession with snow and skiing. For most of my life I have always dreamed of living where it snows and living outside of a city closer to the natural world I love and Kutchan, which is the snowiest town on the planet, fitted this dream perfectly. This region and Hokkaido as a whole is filled with stunning natural landscapes and has a lovely summer to follow the long, cold winter.

I love living in a town where I know so many people personally. I love that small town feel and the sense of community you get from it. I love how there is virtually no crime whatsoever (except a bit when all the foreigners turn up in winter) and how I have never had to lock my door since I bought my house or I can just leave the car running when nipping into a shop.

I have made some great Japanese friends and have participated for some time in Kendo and Iaido which is great fun. I do love playing with a katana!

There are plenty of things about the society and culture which I don't exactly love but the dislikes do not even come close to outweighing what I do like. There were certainly plenty of things about Aussie society and culture I really disliked as well and ultimately they outweighed what I did like about the country.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
lol
You mean winter with lots of snowing days...
Summer can't be that bad where you live compared to places like Tokyo (hotter due to the sum of all air conditioners' expelled hot air) or Yamanashi (bonchi land). I'd love to be near the beach though.

I love living near to the beach. Sure its not beautiful white sand, but I like it all the same. Just a pity it doesn't snow in Shonan
  • 2 weeks later...

In my 5 years or so here my thoughts have changed but generally I still love it. I try to filter out the things that annoy me and concentrate on enjoying my time here. I'm pretty sure that when I go back to my home country, I will look back on my time in Japan and realise what a fab time it was.