Recently the fan in my notebook computer seems to start up a lot during normal usage and keep going for long periods. I'm sure it didn't used to do that, and I am using it about the same times etc.

Anyone know why that may be?

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend opening it up either, but these things do get dusty on the inside and that can cause it running hot. I would be taking it for a trip to the local computer repairer and seeing if they can help out.

I will never forget the first time a repairer opened up on of our PC's about 5 years ago and I was watching him do it ... the damn thing had sucked up pretty much every dust bunny my house could have ever produced!!

Notebooks are better left to a shop unless you know how to take it apart. Desktops are a piece of cake to clean as only two screws to undo and the whole side cover comes off.

Notebooks are of course far more compact and not easy to clean.

If you feel confident go ahead if it is out of warrantee, otherwise better to take it to a shop to get it checked.

Fans runner more than usual are not a good sign so better to get it checked sooner than later, because if there is a lot of dust it could eventually over heat the computer to a dangerous level!

sounds like dust accumulation on the inside. You'll need to take i apart and have it cleaned. Best to take a bakcup first, so's any frustrated hammering woon't mean a loss of years of data.

Either dust inside or lots of crappy services running in the background meaning your processor is working more. Reinstalling your OS (not always easy on a notebook) usually lightens things up a lot.

You can get metal stands to put notebooks on. They allow more airflow underneath to help cooling. Some have fans powered off a USB line.

... and did you swallow?uch more important!

Actually, best to blow the dust out, in the oposite direction of the "normal" air flow, so it all goes back out where it came in. Use a can of air, or a high pressure compressor, not the arse end of a vacuum cleaner.