Well I've got a coupe of minutes so thought I would try and knock out a bit of a trip report.

Please excuse any spelling mistakes, I dont have spell check in the software I typed this on and the screen is tiny...

First a BIG thanks to everyone at SJF and all the members that post here, without all of you I most likely would never had the dream, nor the information to make the trip.

I apologize in advance if this is a bit verbose, I'd just like to include as much info as I can to help others. I dont have my camera cable with me but when I do will post up some pics.

With a fair bit of lack of planning due to taking a job in China, then booking a trip to Japan before starting work I sort of winged it but its turned out more then OK due to other peoples efforts. It was a bit of a journey to get here as I had to go via Beijing as the company I will be working for gracefully paid for a business class fare from Perth. I love flying this way but still dont get enough sleep on the over night leg due to always being a good movie available I havent seen smile "Into the Wild" was a great watch and really a great commentary on modern life and someone's efforts to leave a lot of it behind.

On arriving in Tokyo after a 22hr journey I decided to stay at the Hilton at Narita which was a nice enough experience and reasonably priced at 9,200Y booked via a discount internet site, you'll have to search and find it though. Just look at a few sites. They also have a shuttle bus to and from the airport that leaves from bus stop 16. I had breakfast in my rate but not the gym..... which I was keen to use but not at $30 Aus.

Was dropped down to the airport Terminal 2 and the train to Tokyo is located at the very bottom level. I didnt get a chance to book my rail;pass before I left so bought one there. Cost was 17,600 to Nagano and back to Tokyo. I wish I had bought the 4 segment pass but didnt know I would be returning to Tokyo again so soon. More on that later. After the airport train it was into the Nagano Shink which was easy to find but as I had packed light lol using all the escalators was fun, especially with a large board bag, but still very achievable. The terminal was easy to find and everyone so helpful, if you arent sure just ask. I didnt see anywhere to place my bags by the door on the Shink but should have looked harder... wondered about the looks on the Shink when I put my board bag and big bag up on the shelves above the seats, only to realise they werent even above my seat smile

On arriving at Nagano you leave the terminal via the east exit and head to bus stop #16 which is right at the end. Its a `1500Y fare to Hakuba train station and the buses leave pretty regularly. It was quite warm when I arrived and I was hoping there was a lot of elevation between Nagano and the mountain and there wasnt any snow to be seen. There isnt a lot of elevation change wink Still a lovely bus trip and when you pop out of that tunnel and see the peaks your heart races a little and I started to feel like a grommet again. Here's a tip, carry the phone number of the hotel you are staying at, it helps when you need to call them to collect you at the station which is where I got off the bus. It also stops at a few other places, including Happo if you are staying there. Luckily the tourist place was most friendly and called for me. It was 9C on the afternoon I arrived..... not so good. Bugger, ah well being on the mountain is just one aspect of my trip.

Now to the accommodation. Im staying with TJ and his team at the Whitehorse and I can not rate these guys high enough. All the staff have been terrific and my room is awesome. The food has been great and if I have needed anything else they have come through for me. Totally recommend this place and its a great location in Echoland. Check the accom section here for contact details.

The 1st day on the mountain was a classic too. I normally will not drink whilst riding but ignored that on the 1st day after being invited to a lunch at the restaurant at the Virgin Cafe, well that's quite an understatement re the drinking. Lets just say if you have a 5 hour wet lunch, on the 2nd day you have been on a mountain in 5 years and you cant really ride properly anyway, then try and beat a bunch of 60 year old guys down the mountain who are good skiers, its only going to end one way, which it did. Will NEVER do that again. Didnt think I was ever going to stop after one face plant. Was a great day though and we ended up back at Double Black laughing at my lack of skills. Now before some folks get upset I wouldnt condone this behavior either. It was stupid, plain and simple and it was poor judgment on my behalf. I then got to experience the joys of Master Blaster, great cocktails and good service inn Echoland, later that night and wish I could remember the name of my new friend wink

The next morning it was raining and I wasnt too sad about that as had a terrible hangover and couldnt have ridden if I had wanted. Slothed out all day and was worried it was never be cold enough again this season. Late that afternoon I had a massage at the Thai place in Happo. I think the cost was about 6,500Y but cant be sure. The day after I did go ride in the slush as the rain had stopped. I much prefer these conditions then icey and was out for a couple of hours. Headed back after that and chilled until about 7pm when I went and did a couple of hours under the lights at Happo. Its very short little run that was sloshy and chopped out but I was trying to build fitness and skill so was better then trying to do that on the play station smile Apparently Goyru is better and I'll give that a go tomorrow night I think. We then went out that night too, Master Blaster and 902, needless to say had a good night again, everyone is so very veery friendly.

With the conditions being so poor I made the decision to head to Tokyo which I had originally planned to do at the end of the trip. I wont retype info but below is the link to my Tokyo thread.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/354945/Must_do_s_in_Tokyo.html#Post354945

After a bit of thought I think Im now going to head to Niseko on Wednesday for a week to catch up with a mate who is up there and in the hope that it might get cold enough so any precip will be snow. Getting there is covered in this thread.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthread...eko.html#UNREAD

Well that will do for now, for those of you that are still awake after starting this. For all of you that have helped me, once again thanks so much.

mate don't sweat the stares on the shink.....I often put my board bag on the luggage shelf and often not above my head......shogunai!! Shame you didn't get the goods in Hakuba, hope Niseko comes through for you.

Thanks guys.

Well after some serious consideration I am now going to hang in Habuka and hope for snow. Thanks for the advice re getting up there and I apologise for now not needing it but hopefully someone will use it next year etc. I had planned to meet up with someone in Niseko but that might have turned out causing lots of problems as she is cute and spoken for and Im trying to walk a straighter line these days wink

The snow here is really slushy which for me is preferable then icy as it doesnt hurt so much when I fall, which is often smile I'm only riding a couple of hours a day as my feet hurt in the ions and I am still quite unfit from a boarding perspective so am trying to build on that and not fall off as much each day, with vary degrees of success. The new burton custom X and CO2 bindings felt great yesterday although I feel like an ad for burton now as all my equipemnt has their logo, which happened quite by accident based upon advice from others. Now if only I could ride like one of their team members, hopefully some lessons this week will help.

If nothing else TJ and his crew at the Artic have been great and there is always Master Blaster and 902 within a short walk if a bevy or 3 is needed. Just dont want any more 3am finishes - Im just too old for that kinda thing smile Well off to ride some slush and enjoy the day.

Here are a few pics from earlier in the trip.

Clinton, Glen and Tara from the Whithorse Artic Hotel up on Happo

panhead_pete_20.JPG

This place is just stunning, can see why so many fall in love and never leave.

panhead_pete_21.JPG

Now the bad news, about 1/2 way up the Gondy yesterday....

panhead_pete_22.JPG

Just to finish on a positive note, here is a pic from the Virgin cafe/restaurant where we had a glass or 3 too much smile

panhead_pete_8.JPG

Yeah mamabear Im hearing you, just off now to go ride the slush. Feel free to pop over and use my pool.

Forecast is looking promising for a bit of snow sunday-thursday if you're still around. Maybe not midwinter chest deep powder, but it would be nice to get some fresh stuff! If it does snow on the night time, I'd recommend not staying in the bar till 3 am - if you're not up pretty early, all the in-resort powder will be tracked out!!

Well not much to report re the snow here or lack there of. The mountain is really starting to suffer with quite a few bare areas popping through and some reasonable cracks in the base all over the mountain. Still plenty of fun to be had on the morning groomers then the afternoon slush.

Hopefully it really will snow starting tonight as everyone is talking about as I leave 1st thing Thurs morn and am yet to see snow in 12 days...

This is down the bottom 4 days ago and there is now even less snow.

panhead_pete_29.jpg

Everywhere you go you can hear the sound of running water and the river near Nagano is quite full.

panhead_pete_28.jpg

Q Tips is a classic bar and has a mini ramp right in the middle of the bar. The chick standing on the platform had an awesome array of lip tricks and was tearing the place up. Not so much some of the drunk punters LOL. I was that drunk I almost had a roll myself... So glad I didnt....

panhead_pete_31.jpg

Finally, now when there is no snow things can become a tad loose.... Wont identify anyone else in this pic nor show the photos from when we were in the night club, but it was an awesome night....

panhead_pete_27.jpg

Well the trip is over and what a great way to end it with some awesome snow and a trip to Cortina. First and foremost I must thank TJ OZ and all his staff at the Arctic White Horse for making the trip. The service was sensational and I did indeed feel as I was at home. To say I was made to feel like more then a guest is the understatement of the year and I wouldn't hesitate to go back there nor recommend it to all and sundry. Great room and linen, Koko's breakfasts with Sho's coffee are the best in town and Clint poured a great bevy and acted as our shuttle driver.

Highlights besides the accom were so numerous but really focus around all the great people I met which is important when you are traveling alone as I was. The guys from Dan's ski and boarding school were awesome to hang with as were all the expats and locals I met who are living the dream. Via one of Dan's instructors I ended up giving away one of the boards I had for sale and it will end up in the hands of one of the local school kids so am amped about that.

Obviously the snow could have been better but hey this is nature and I got the pick of it on the last few days so it finished perfectly. Even had a run outside of the patrolled area which was testing. Thanks for that guys, especially all the waiting as I tried to drag my sorry ass up each time I fell in the pow. Damn I am unfit smile

At night we had some great laughs including playing the bowling on the Wii and then out in the bars, particularly Master Blaster and 902. The local food was SENSATIONAL and whilst I wouldn't have done so before leaving, I'd eat raw horse again. The little cake shop just up the road from Echoland was MAD too. Mmmmmmmmmm those cakes rocked!!!

Well as I write this I am sitting in a hotel room in Baishan China getting ready to start work in the morning. The Japan trip was a great way to spend the weeks before starting working again and I still cant wipe the smile off my face.

Finally one more round of thanks to everyone who made my trip what it was - AWESOME.

clap

Yay Pete!

It was so nice to follow your adventure from planning to fruition, with all the changes along the way - I am so glad you had an awesome time.

sj

SnowJapan to the rescue again!

Hope work goes well for you - stick around, and hope to hear about your next snow trip real soon!

Will certainly hang around, may be even getting some riding in here in China.......

Well I am sorting through my pics for something else and thought I'd post a few indicative ones up here.

Not sure about you guys but I struggled to get back to sleep for an hour when you wake up at 6am and see this.

panhead_pete_32.jpg

I myself have done some silly things but this Russian couple had their very young baby with them. No matter how good a skier he is what about those behind him, plaus it was well below zero day with a significant wind chill factor...

panhead_pete_34.JPG

Now on a brighter note this young Japanese liftie road the lift down to where we were about to get on with her umbrella up, looking all the world like Mary Poppins. Couldnt get the camera out in time but did manage this snap.

panhead_pete_35.JPG

I was taken here and wont disclose where it is except Cortina. Its a pity my skill level wasnt as good as I thought/hoped smile but was awesome to get into something like this on my last day. That's a mate waiting for me to get back up out of the powder, something he did a lot of and I really appreciated his patience.

panhead_pete_37.JPG

Got to hang with four awesome girls a couple of afternoons. After lunch it was "Lets go do that other black run"........ smile Still great company.

panhead_pete_39.JPG

Finally if there is ANY doubt I enjoyed my trip this should certainly prove I did. smile smile smile

panhead_pete_40.JPG

When I was young I was a tad naughty and mum used to chase me around the kitchen with pots and pans, sometimes she would catch me... LOL

Actually its a type of Harley motor and I used to ride with some guys and some of them didn't have second names wink , so you were known by your nickname, as there was another Pete in the crew and I had a panhead it kinda stuck.