Main reason for the smelly booys is not airing / drying them out after each use.

The lining can come out and be hung on the clothes line if the weathers nice.

If cloudy / wet lay the boots laying down near a heater for an hour or two but far enough away so that the heater does not damaged them.

I have had the same ski boots now for about 4 seasons and they do not smell at all! Make sure you dry them, most important!

After a day of skiing, remove the liners from the boots, and hang them upside down so that air gets inside and they dry completely.

Alternatively, use silica gel boot dryers (Rexxam) or a futon dryer with the boot attachment (usually for ladies long boots).

Two tips from me.

1. At the end of a season the smelly removable liners can be thrown in the washing machine together with laundry powder and napisan - then hung on the washing line in the sun.

2. Storing boots for any period of time? Sounds bizarre but it works! I filled old long socks with Catsan (an odour neutralizing kitty litter)and tied a knot in the ends. Then stuffed each sock sausage into a boot. The kitty litter is super absorbent which means any moisture hanging around in your boots is pulled away from the liner and locked within the socks inside ... and the odour neutralizer in the litter doesn't know whether it is neutralizing kitty smells or stinky feet smells.

Mamabear,

Napisan is a stain remover?

I would be very very careful about putting liners in the washing machine...I paid waaay to much for custom bootfitting to think about having to purchase even stock replacement liners. Maybe that would be a good case to buy Zipfits, though.

Also, careful on hanging the liners in direct sunlight, lot of damage can be done.

Yes actually forgot to mention that, not good to hang in direct hot sunshine, more hang them on a sunny day but not in direct sun light.

Choose a slightly shaded area and they will be fine, that is what I do.

Direct sunlight causes the material to break down prematurely, just like heat which causes deformation.

When using a futon dryer, use it on low heat or cool.

Never dry out the liners near a fireplace.

Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Mamabear,

Napisan is a stain remover?

I would be very very careful about putting liners in the washing machine...I paid waaay to much for custom bootfitting to think about having to purchase even stock replacement liners. Maybe that would be a good case to buy Zipfits, though.

Also, careful on hanging the liners in direct sunlight, lot of damage can be done.

I never had a problem with our previous (snowboard boot) liners - although I have to admit that I have not laundered OR put on the line to air my heat moulded new liners.

Previous liners were not heat moulded - and I never left them in the sun for days and days - just enough to be dried and aired - teenaged boys boots can develop a nasty pong if the odour causing bacteria and grime is not washed away...so better to try washing than throw the boots away due to smelly liners.

Napisan is not really all that harsh if it is just added to the wash cycle - but it does kill the odour causing bugs - that's why they use it for babies clothes and nappies. I use a color safe napisan - which is milder again, and only about a tablespoon full in a front loader gentle cycle on warm not hot. I usually throw in an old towel or two into the cycled to make the whole process even gentler on the liners - as it cushions them.

But - - - these liners were not heat moulded.

Thanks, I have never heard of Napisan until you posted that...and thank you Google!

Snowboard boot liners seem to be much more flexible and not as stiff as ski boot liners.

I would not put any heat molded liners in the wash nor hang them in the sun, only the shade.

Also hear that cleaners for hockey stuff is great, as apparently hockey gear has a really strong funk.

• 3 weeks later...