Fat Tax - Travellers in favour

fine. Good for you.

So how do you feel about a fat slob overspilling over the armrest and resting his/her sweating clothes on your arm? Or worse, lap?

I for one would be pretty damn disgusted.

I had to sit next to a guy with really wide shoulders coming back from Canberra last year - he was a solid built fellow, but in no way fat. It was pretty cramped and I found myself really sitting on an angle leaning on the window of the plane because his shoulders were well into my seat space.

It was uncomfortable.

But it was a whole lot more preferable to what I experienced from HK to Paris a year ago. Skinny little asian fellow got on in HK and when the flight took off and the seatbelt sign turned off he raced from his seat a few rows behind us to nab an entire vacant row a few rows in front and to the side of us, lay across all seats and went to sleep for the entire trip. Would have been OK except he kept farting every 10 or 15 minutes. It was something extra special too - I have never smelt anything so foul.

I'd rather sit next to a big fella for 14 hours than sit behind that fellow again. Truly!

Originally Posted By: seemore
I asked the guy at quantas on the phone in regards to my board bag being 28kgs and another nag being 16kgs.

He said you should be ok but it will depend on the person on the check in desk on the day.

Albeit no problems just had to repack hand luggage into 2 bags as opposed to 1 as it was too heavy.

how on earth do you lug 44kgs of gear around...? is that all yours seemore?!

Mamabear, you were on a flight that had an entire ROW of empty seats! Don't think I've seen that in at least eight or nine years. Almost every trans-Pac flight I've taken in recent years has been completely full in zoo class.

It was Air France (a Qantas codeshare) and for some reason they bunched everyone up on the sides and left quite a lot of seats free in the middle. Our family of 6 was on a side 3 x 3, so no favours to us.

You should have seen the rush for the vacant seats and people throwing themselves across 2 or 3 or in this fellows case FOUR seats and claiming them. It was psycho!

Come to think of it. I have only been on one other flight EVER that was as par=filled. I think what happened was an unexpected change of plane and it was larger than the original - so vacancies.

• 2 weeks later...

I once went from New York to Heathrow and the plane was I would say 20% full. It was still soon after the 9-11 stuff so I am sure that had a lot to do with it but apart from that I can't think of any flight I have been on that wasn't either almost or totally full.