Tex in Niseko 27 Jan - 2- Feb

Hey Mitch, certainly got some good advice and did find a few nice pockets that always seemed the last to get tracked out. Not sure I ever got any real 'secrets' though plenty of freshies to be well content anyway smile I will share 'my secrets' when I can see though both eyes again (see below) smile

Home.... have a had a pretty slow depressing return, unpacked, sorted out a few things and slept Wednesday. Sick yesterday (serious sinus issues) and looks like I am off to the doctor today for the same thing.

Indeed a Hangie... BM lol = Hang Glider Pilot suffices smile

Take care Tex, that is one of the worst things about holidays (involving planes and buses) - such germ incubators!!

I was lucky not to get any colds/infections on the return, but two of my boys picked up a nasty chest thing from the girl hacking her lungs up the seat behind them on the bus trip from Hirafu to Shin Chitose.

The poor 12 yr old ended up missing the last 2 weeks of intensive Water Polo training as he couldn't stop coughing - lost heaps of condition - and I reckon that is going to be the difference between making the Nationals and not. :(

Hope the Doc can sort your sinuses out pronto. Make sure you get pseudo-ephedrine on top of antibiotics (if needed) - it really makes all the difference (and hard to get thanks to all the home chefs using it liberally!)

Take care.

I always wash my nose out with sea salt (dissolved in water of course)

suck through your nose and out of your mouth.

Like most of us wash our hands, why not wash them sinus after its bin filtering out all that dust and smoke and germs ...

anyways, soon it will be good flying weather for you. I'm impressed that people are flying hangliders, I thought most of them are hanging up in people's garages ... or most pilots are now flying prams (paragliders) instead. They are sooo slow... but check out the Gin Bobcats. You might change your mind lugging around with the heavy glider. wink

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
They are sooo slow... but check out the Gin Bobcats. You might change your mind lugging around with the heavy glider. wink

How dare you! wink I will never join the dark side smile wink

Yes we still have a healthy HG population in AUS though the punters are taking over the world... slowly...

I have a salt water pool and have been trying to inhale some water LOL yummy
  • SnowJapan Admin

Great, thank you.

For the moment we are keeping the original (pre-converted) files so that we can troubleshoot any problems like this. My colleague who is going to be the one doing that is taking a bit of a rest after a very busy few weeks so it will be early next week before we work that out I think.

The formats we put on the Help page should be ok and we had no real problems with the 250+ ones we uploaded that were in the various formats.

Your original file was a 88MB .wmv file and that is within the size limit. I reduced it to a smaller .wmv file and it worked good. I'm not saying that is what was going on there, but it might be.

We hope to add more detailed guidelines about formats etc soon. Sadly there's so many it is difficult to cover everything.

In the meantime if you do upload and it doesn't appear properlyu, we will be able to try and converty ourselves to get it up there for you.

thumbsup

LONG POST COMING

OK brief wrap up from my Japan trip as a 1st timer skiing in Japan, more intended for those who do not have the experience already. I get pretty excited about my snow holidays and spend more time web surfing, researching and living vicariously through others before I attend, than the time I actually spend on snow. All part of the adventure... perhaps this will help someone do the same.

We booked through an "Niseko" agent based out of Sydney (won't mention any names as I understand promo is off the cards here?.?.?) and got what I would consider a very good deal - certainly based on the some of the other quotes we got. Essentially we got 7 nights 6 days skiing with all transfers and accom for 2600.

We resided at the Landmark View in a two bedder and we were all very very happy with the accommodation and position. Good sized unit with plenty of room for the 4 of us, would easily accommodate 6 if you were all good friends. Well appointed, free internet, short walk to the gondola which was actually pretty handy to warm up a bit before first tracks - never had to deal with much of a line at the gondola. The deli downstairs at the Landmark was great for odds and ends and we smashed the Lattes and Hot Choccies "Oishii".

First shop we did was at Lawson a short stroll down the hill and while we had plans to do a big shop in Kutchan we never made it in there at all - a few stops at the Seicomart to get the essentials. Basically we did bacon and eggs each day for breakfast, grabbed lunch somewhere on the hill and hit any of the restaurants we walked into at night in the Village. Boring as we are, we never ate at a Japanese restaurant except the one over at Annupuri (can't recall the name) and having some Japanese cuisine at lunch.

Once we found our feet and got some good advice (Go Native, Foxpuppet) we started to venture around and find some good spots to fill our hearts with merriment.

Each day went something like this...

Pick a spot we wanted to attack, plan the runs and lifts to assault it as fast as possible for fresh lines (we anticipated buying early bird freshie tickets but never really needed them) usually there was the odd track or two in the areas we attacked but we tended to get in fast enough to delineate fresh lines smile

Favorites:

Gate 1 was gold straight out and down from the gate, lots tend to traverse early for some reason leaving good clear runs for a while untouched. This area IMHO beats Strawberry and Blueberry - better pitch and trees are spread a bit more. The gully run to finish was just so much fun - the natural half pipe in sections is a great natural touch.

Gate 2 - must admit I did not like the traverse once the closer area was getting tracked out. Prefer to be straight into it as soon as possible.

Of course all the gates and incorporated areas are special spots but trying to diversify from those a little... if you are nov-int and still want to mix in the trees inbound I recommend the section between Shirakaba run and the Ace pair #3. Short run but always tracked out late for us. Annupuri has some light pitch good tree runs that no one seems to like killing ('cept me)...

Rookie mistakes...

Getting absorbed in fresh lines straight up from the top missing the mid mountain lift (as designated in the plan wink ) and ending up at the Ace Quad for a long line, must have taken 10 minutes to get on that chair sheesh what a wait...

Got stuck at Annupuri when top closed and waited for the bus, first one filled and had to wait another 45 min, then heard you can still walk over the top towards the wonderland chair - even though they said you could not a few did it following the ski patrol over no dramas

Well where does one end...

JAL were great one time and pleasant to travel with, though we did get shushed and an "unexpected turbulence" warning from the hostie 1.5 hours into the trip (10.30am) as we were turned around in our seats all excited and laughing it up.

Really inspired to spend more time traveling Japan generally, ALAS time will probably see me just back at a ski area again hopefully next season.

Never saw the obligatory bogons but we were never out late, probably 30% of tourists saw were Aussies. We expected that and even made the odd friend or two on the lifts.

More video coming later

Questions? smile

Tex_7.JPG

Tex_12.JPG

Tex_11.JPG

Tex_10.JPG

Cheers smile spent a good few hours yesterday doing up a video (Full from trip) and the puter (well the program) crashed losing all the work done doh

That short one is about the extent of the video of me... as I was the camera owner and hence main videographer, the rest is mainly of my travel companions so a fair bit of on piste cruising as well, as I tended to meet them at the bottom when the snow and pow was still fresh evilgrin

I also thought I spent lots of time filming, not so it seems with under two hours of footage from 6 days, but I think it just seems like lots when you are watching through a lens and not concentrating on getting some - doesn't help that my camera skills are pretty slack and many shots are just not reasonable enough to use. Anyway once I have finished it all I will cut it up into edible portions and post smile