Non-smokers deserve more annual leave or pay than smokers.

Quote:

"MANY non-smokers believe they deserve an extra week of annual leave to match the amount of time their smoking colleagues spend on cigarette breaks, Quit Victoria says.

As the federal Health Department prepares to ban staff smoking during work hours or when representing the department, Quit says workplaces should consider offering phone breaks to ring the Quitline in place of smoking breaks."

http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/non...00112-m4q4.html

Makes sense.

Let's see more of this kind of thing.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: RobBright
But what happens when EVERYONE becomes a non-smoker?

lol
Judging by the amount of ciggie dodging we have to do EVERY time we travel outside of Oz I would be very surprised if that ever happened.

Had a giggle at the glass walled smokers rooms inside Narita/Haneda Airports that were vented out somewhere. Baby Bear (renamed Powder Baby after this last holiday) looked at me with a "WTF" expression on his face at the sight of the crowded room....like any good mother I carefully explained that in Japan they lock all the smokers in glass cages so we can all stare at them as they die of lung cancer.

As a reformed ex-smoker I almost want to join them despite the obvious...
Originally Posted By: RobBright
But what happens when EVERYONE becomes a non-smoker?

Life will be so much nicer ...
  • No tobacco smoke pollution at table.
  • The government would have to find another source of funds.
  • The government would not have to spend gazillions on tobacco related illnesses.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

NO YOU DO NOT!

Me ex-smoker too, never wanted to go back (except when I was a member of a winning 7-a-side cricket team and we were celebrating a finals win! What DO you do with the hand that's not carrying the beer to your mouth?). Last smoke was 1972!
Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

NO YOU DO NOT!

Me ex-smoker too, never wanted to go back (except when I was a member of a winning 7-a-side cricket team and we were celebrating a finals win! What DO you do with the hand that's not carrying the beer to your mouth?). Last smoke was 1972!

I am 11 years smoke free. Still get the urge though...
But I don't miss the lack of throat infections, or the hacking cough, or the stinky clothes and hair.

Did I say...still get the urge though... confused

I smoke from time to time. I kind of like the feeling produced from the drugs in tobacco (and you look like such a cool bad-ass when you smoke!) I've never been addicted to tobacco though so I don't know what you 'ex-smokers' must have gone through to quit. Surely can't be easy as they are so easily available. Personally, I think people make too much of a big deal about people who smoke and second hand smoke. The only situations when it really pisses me off is when I'm trying to enjoy a meal... and that's only because smoke effects the taste of food.

As my father used to say 'Smoke 'em if you got 'em' (but I don't think he was talking about cigarettes!)

This is one of those that will go round and round.

People who smoke - and perhaps those who used to - will no doubt argue that non-smokers are complaining about nothing. They're hardly likely to do otherwise are they?

Non-smokers will more than often simply hate smoking and being anywhere near it.

Hey, I totally think that smoking is nasty but I like the narcotic effects. Without a doubt the health hazards of second hand smoke are exaggerated. The anti-smoking campaign realized years ago that you can't convince people who are addicted to quit. Their preaching was falling on deaf ears. What they decided to do instead is convince the majority of people (non-smokers) that their personal health was at risk because of evil smokers.

Well, as I said, opinions of smokers and non-smokers on the issue will be fairly predictable.

Quote:
(and you look like such a cool bad-ass when you smoke)

Sorry to break this to you, but in fact you don't.

You just look really silly.

slap

What's not fair in the workplace, especially I noticed in Australia is:

If you are a smoker, you get that extra 5~10 min smoking break, and especially so when your boss is a smoker at workplace.

Friend suggested he actually pretends to be a smoker to get the break but don't inhale on it.

Comes down to bad management I reckon.

If you have an employee, they are employed to do a job. If they do that job and do it well who cares if they take a 5-10 minute smoko, or spend an extra 10 minutes reading the paper at lunchtime.

If they are not getting the job done - that's another matter.

I dislike it when people clock watch - staff or management. But then again I am quite right wing.

What was predictable about what I said? I'm a non-smoker who doesn't mind when people smoke (except restaurants)...

BTW, I know sarcasm doesn't come across easily in writing but I thought the 'bad-ass' comment was pretty obvious.

Nope read it just fine.

If you smoke 'from time to time', you smoke. You're certainly not in the 'non smokers' camp. wink

Simple as.

What was predictable?

Quote:
Without a doubt the health hazards of second hand smoke are exaggerated.

...along with the use of words like 'preaching' and 'evil'.

Stuff like that.

And, if you took the time to read my comment you'd see that I wasn't particularly directing that at you. In fact, it was extremely wide. Take a look!

friend

If you consider someone who smokes on occasion 'a smoker' then you must consider someone who drinks on occasion 'an alcoholic'. Personally, I don't see much logic being used there. I regularly go months and sometimes years without smoking at all.

Without doing replicable scientific experiments in which all of the variables are controlled it is impossible to draw the conclusions that many people blindly believe. Breathing second hand smoke certainly can't be healthy but the fact that non-smokers believe if they inhale even a few breaths of smoke while they are at a bar that their health will be adversely effected are just fools. If you don't like the smell or think it's obnoxious that's fine but don't pretend that you're going to die of lung cancer because you are exposed to it from time to time.

My dad says "When you have smoked, you are a smoker. You just know the times you smoke and the times you don't smoke" some truth to that.

I don't like alcohol because it doesn't taste good. I am allergic to it and I don't have a need.

With ciggies, yeah I have known times it tasted good, especially after meals. Other times it tastes bad but I smoked because of addiction.

In regards to smoke inhalation, I think we have been inhaling smoke since the caveman days, soot is part of us. Love the smell of open fire myself. The problem with ciggies are the chemical additives. 100's of them, Scientifically proven to cause cancer. Just to keep you hooked and get the hit. Since most of the ciggy goes up in smoke compared to what's inhaled and get filtered by the human body, a room full of smokers can produce a lot of toxic smoke. Ever smoked natural tabacco? You won't get that satisfaction that you get from processed engineered cigarettes.

As for nicotine - It's a smart drug in small dose. Poison in high dose. Addiction is another issue.

This from the council of civil liberties. rolleyes

Australian Council for Civil Liberties president Terry O'Gorman says the policy should be withdrawn unless it is a productivity or industrial relations issue.

"They're on shaking ground legally," he said.

"It's just nanny-state stuff for the Federal Health Department to say 'because we're the Health Department we're not going to allow you to smoke during the day except during your lunch hour'.

"The next step will be 'because we're the Federal Health Department and are running an anti-obesity campaign, you, you and you, you're too fat, get out and lose weight'."

Do other countries have a council of civil liberties?

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
...(and you look like such a cool bad-ass when you smoke!)
No, you look like a fool with no concern for your health nor that of others!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
... Personally, I think people make too much of a big deal about people who smoke and second hand smoke. The only situations when it really pisses me off is when I'm trying to enjoy a meal... and that's only because smoke effects the taste of food.

Second hand smoke is disgusting, even the smell of a smoker walking up the stairs ahead of me is enough to make me feel ill. As well as the stink, the potential for wafting of smoke over my food is enough to make me leave the restaurant without ordering.

Even a "smoke Free" area, you usually have to walk through the smoker area, and the smoke cannot read the "no smoking" signs, so just wanders onto my plate. Very unhygenic!