Hi,

It's our first trip to Japan (Tokyo and Niseko) in Feb and I've got a couple of questions. Sorry if you've covered this all before:

I hear Niskeo is pretty cold.... I have some snow gear I've used in Aus and NZ. The colder days in NZ were fine with thermals. I was hoping these would be ok with a fleece layer on for Niseko???? Or is it worth investing in a better outershell. I hate being cold.

2nd, are the shops in Japan expensive? How does the price of snow clothes in Tokyo and Niseko copmare with Perth as I'm sure they'll have a much larger range.

Thanks!

So excited for the trip.

Ski/snowboard shops have a brilliant range in Tokyo - and pretty dang good range (but a bit more expensive) in Niseko.

I remember it being a LOT colder 2yrs ago that I found it this year, but I reckon my gear is a bit better suited this time around. I used to go for the thick jacket - but I bought a shell jacket in Tokyo and have found that awesome - bit counter intuitive - but it honestly has been.

The best investments I have made for my comfort on the slopes have been the IceBreaker woolen thermals - get them from Main Peak before you come if you don't have any. Good socks - the longer the better also help. As for the face/head - because I wear a helmet a beanie is too thick so I use a Buff on my head and another (Polar Buff for Japan) on my neck pulled up so I look like I am wearing a Hijab - then on goes the helmet. When the Goggles go on there is NO SKIN visible - and that really helps with heat retention.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tips MB. I've got some Ice Breaker tops. They are fantasic.

Gareth, I don't think I can PM yet as I'm a new member. My partner needs a set of snow board clothing. We are off to check the main peak sales today. What size gear is it? and would you sell it before Feb?

I'm a typically a mens medium (but I've got a set of mens large 20k snowboarding pants too, which i'm thinking of getting rid of).

My wife's got some great gear too thats ladies XL

my email is xxx@xxx.xxx.au if you want to set something up (sunday's 42 deg weather will be perfect for trying on snowboarding gear!!)

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Isn't XL, LL in Japan?

Never quite sure about the sizes in Japan. I'm tall and find LL a bit on the small size. Some brands do an OX which is a lot bigger than LL, maybe equivalent to XXL. And some Japanese brands do XXL sizes. I got a one-piece from a Japanese company over the net this season which is a great fit.