Hi, first time post on this forum. wave wave My friends & I will be driving up to Niseko "The Vale" for the first time in 21st Feb. Which is the fastest route..??

I've google map the route, but the funny thing is that on the highway 5 a total of 155km for 2hrs 43mins & on highway 276 a total 117km for 3hrs 20mins..?? doh doh

thanks for advise party

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving? Crikey, will take you about 16hours if you're lucky.

One of my mates did it last weekend for a "laugh", then promised never to do it again. He also used google maps for directions as had it on his iPhone.

Put the Vale's GPS code or phone number into the car's GPS. Since it's so new, I doubt it will be there, in which case get the Seicomart code. The lady at the Toyota Rentals in Shin Chitose can do that for you.

It takes the bus 2.5 hours and he drives it twice a day at least, so it should take you approximately 16 hours like Rob said.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

Dunno if you know but the routes may vary depending on where you start! wink

That is a good point - I assumed from Tokyo as it's the centre of the universe. wink

I'd assume you mean driving from New Chitose Airport? You don't want to go anywhere near route 5, definitely want to go around Shikotsuko on 276. Will take about two and a half hours, obviously dependent on how skilled you are at driving on snow covered roads and the weather conditions.

Sorry, I should have asked the question better. doh Yes, we will depart from the New Chitose Airport to "The Vale". We don't have much experience in driving in snow condition, but I guess at the mid Feb the road should be much better. Why we should stay out of the route 5..?? wakaranai

To get to Route 5 you have to go through Sapporo city and then it'll take you through Otaru and Yoichi. Not only is it considerably further but going through all those cities is a much slower way of getting to Niseko.

Unless you are intending on taking the expressway from Chitose all the way to Otaru and then getting on route 5 which potentially may be reasonably quick (although not sure if quicker than route 276) but it will cost quite a lot in tolls.

They keep the roads well cleared and by mid Feb the sun has a bit more bite to it so potentially there will be little snow on the road from Chitose around Shikotsuko. Expect more after you leave the lake and head up to Otaki and Bifue pass. On the downward side of the pass is about the only area where it can be a little icy and tricky (well that depends on the weather of course).

Who knows what it'll be like on the day you arrive? Could be anything from a raging blizzard to sunshine. Be aware that although the weather may be fine in Chitose which is one of the lowest snowfall areas on the Island it can be very different as you get up over the Bifue pass.

Just take it easy and you should be fine.

When you get to your accomm you'll be able to get plenty of information at the front desk about local onsens and just about everything else. The Niseko region is fairly renowned for its' onsens and with a car you'll be able to get to some outside of Hirafu where all the hordes are.

Thankfully you're not coming in CNY along with 99% of your fellow HK'ers. The last week of Feb should be a little less crowded.

Hold on. The Vale has it's own onsen. That is the most fun. When you're done for the day and you go back to your hotel, and slip into the delicious onsen. It really does save your thighs.

Sorry Cable, the onsen monkeys live down south, not in Hokkaido, I was having a larfff.

Hi Cable

The Onsen at The Vale (Downstairs)is excellent although I have nothing to compare it with.

As it was my first time enjoying this wonderful ritual.

They have an indoor and an outdoor one.

I am with Thursday I wouldn't drive that road the weather can get pretty bad and we had a truck that had Jacknifed on our way up and the driver found a way around it.

Pay someone to drive you or get on a bus.

Hi Seemore,

Is the outdoor a swimming pool @ The Vale..? How's the living quarter, it's look pretty good in the internet. Cannot wait to visit the Vale.

As for the driving, it is too late. I've got everything booked & paid. I've been around in Niseko for a couple of times but always reach it by bus. Some of my buddies wanted to drive this time round, hopefully we can make it to the Vale in one piece.

Our trip start on the 21st & end on the 28th. If any of you guys on the road during these days, be warn "stay away". lol