Hi all, I'm new so please forgive me if this has been posted before. I did look but couldn't find it.

My partner and I are heading to Niseko in Feb 20 for two weeks. She has K2 One Luv skis which are 74mm wide under foot. Will these be ok to use while over there? She is an inter skier and hardly goes off piste unless I push her. This is our first Japan trip only ever boarded/skied over limited powder in New Zealand of about 6".

Any comments would be great.

Cheers.

74mm under foot is about the smallest I would go. Considering she only skis on the piste it should be OK. 88mm seems to be about the standard for an all around ski these days and with the addition of the reverse camber it its various forms, has made the soft snow ski a lot more fun.

lol "Size doesn't matter, it's how you use it...."

Personally I've got small equipment and have even been told that my equipment wouldn't cut it when I get in too deep. ashamed I just laughed coz I definitely know how to use it. On the other hand though, it all seems so effortless though if you've got longer fatter gear and I would like to upgrade at some point.

A good skier can certainly ski pretty well in any conditions on any skis but of course they can ski better in powder with skis designed for it.

Roo her current skis will be fine for on-piste stuff. Maybe look at hiring some fatter skis for a couple of days if shes wanting to takle a bit of the off-piste.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Yes, exactly.

I was rather caught out when sking carvers in knee deep powder on groomers. (Not at Niseko, but further north)

It's the way forward.

You've got to be in it to win it smile
Originally Posted By: MikePow

It's the way forward.

You've got to be in it to win it smile

The MP ski school philosophy seems to be gaining ground around Japan...I skied my smaller skis more than ever this past trip (mind you theyre 99 in the waist). I wanted to try Ians carving skis in the powder biggrin

Thanks all for the comments. As I am a boarder and never really had anything to do with skis let alone skis for powder I was unable to help my wife with any helpful information. As my wife is only an intermediate skier and has never gotton right into the technical aspects of it she was starting to stress a little that they wouldn't be any good. So that said, thanks all for the comments. We will try them out for her on piste and when she gets a little more use to the conditions I'll try and get her to go off piste and see how they go. At the worst will hire powder skis.

Thanks.