Well, it hadn't snowed in two days so Mrs. BM and I decided to take a day trip to Otaru. We started the day off rather slowly and caught the train from Hirafu station at about 10:45 (taxi from lower Hirafu was about 1500Â¥). The trip took about 2 hours to Otaru and we were treated to some great views along the way.

Black%20Mountain_13.JPG

Outside of Hirafu 'station'

Black%20Mountain_14.JPG

Getting around Otaru doesn't really require proficiency at reading a map. Thank goodness because we are useless when it comes to finding directions.

Black%20Mountain_15.JPG

Most important first stop was lunch! Awesome sushi and donburi.

Black%20Mountain_16.JPG

The best omiyage in all of Japan and we just happened to stumble across the factory in Otaru. I was bery berrrry HaPpY!

Black%20Mountain_17.JPG

Steam powered clock outside of a music box shop. Scared the crap out of everyone waiting at the intersection to cross the street!

Black%20Mountain_18.JPG

Oopaidou! I've used that oyagi-gag too much already!

Black%20Mountain_19.JPG

Usually I hate pictures of Engrish signs but couldn't resist taking one of this gem.

Black%20Mountain_20.JPG

Canal on the way to Otaru beer hall (mandatory stop for any beer lover!)

Black%20Mountain_21.JPG

Inside.

Black%20Mountain_22.JPG

Beer!

All in all I would say that this is a good place to spend the afternoon. We left at 4:50 and the return trip home was much quicker (only 80 mins). Next time I think I'll bring the board along and try to hit up the little ski hill at the top of the road! (you can see it in the distance of this last pic. Enjoy!)

Black Mountain_23.JPG

Otaru is a wonderful place to visit. They have fabulous seafood (as mentioned) but the place is also known for glassware (watched an artisan make a minature swan in glass when we were there).

An easy day trip from Kutchan by train - we caught the bus from Hirafu to the station, cost a lot less than the taxi fare!

Yep! Bus is much cheaper... but we were super lazy that morning. Only made the train by about 1 minute even with the taxi ride.

The glassware is fantastic there. We did a little glass blowing workshop at a place called K's Glass. There are also tons of shops selling locally made goods. I was really interested in buying something but was afraid that it would be broken before I got it home (I'm clumsy as hell!)

Yep, K's is where we saw the work. Fab little items (I didn't buy any because I knew the fate would be the same as your thoughts)

BM...you have kids, right? How did the youngsters find Otaru?

We had intended on going, but another family we know went and the kids hated it (parents loved it)...just wondering what you might have done differently to appeal to the kids interests.

Well, Mrs. BM is the only child I have to deal with. No kids with us. I think spending a little time at the glassblowing place I mentioned would be interesting for the kids. Probably the best way to keeps the kids interested is by letting them wonder off on their own wink

That would most likely be it.

Having four of the blighters, with a Sister In Law with TEN - I forget not everyone is tagging kids around wink

Although you can hardly classify the older two as kids anymore. Both spent NYE at the Irish Bar, one home at 1am the other home at 2.30am!! cheers

[Mamabear DID wait up for them though]

was my thoughts exactly!! I love the look of that beer hall, just wish there were a few round my way like that. Far too much head....dunno what the Japanese are thinking taking up half the glass with foam!