I'm interested to hear if there are any other people deciding to go to Niseko this season instead of Hakuba, perhaps after the experience of last season?

I know of a few people overseas who have done that. They were thinking of doing Hakuba this year but made the decision to go to Niseko this coming season based on what the season was like last season.

Now I'm sure that some people will think that is just ridiculous - but people are doing this. Anyone else heard stories like that?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure... The dodgy long range forecast was for a warmer than average winter. Plus, we're obviously not off to a quick start. Plus last year was warm. So, understandable.

I'll be sticking to Honshu this year just coz it's much closer for me but if I was coming from far away I might choose Hok.

We were thinking of going to Hakuba

Because I wanted to go on the train.

But decided to go to Niseko as we are going early season Late Dec and didn't want to spend heaps of money for the chance of no/ little snow.

Originally Posted By: The Skiing Lawyer
Yeah but you won one didn't you? wink

Absolutely!
I have wanted to go to Hakuba for AGES but because we have had such a fantastic time in Niseko in the past I had not been able to convince the boys - but this is the perfect opportunity to go. Obviously I am ponying up for the airfare from Perth to Tokyo, train out to Hak's and probably a few extra days on top - but the win convinced Papa to take me.

I am REALLY looking forward to it.

I actually noticed the trend a few years ago. Personally, since my holidays got bumped ahead by a week (starting each year around the 20th of December) I always make the trip to Hokkaido. I save Nagano/Niigata for weekend trips or February long weekend once the season has actually kicked off (usually from mid-Jan to March). Early season anywhere is risky though so we just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best.

I love Nagano though and its A LOT closer for me than Hokkaido...

Doesn't really make much sense I suppose but I also know of a few people who have chosen to do that. I feel Hakuba will certainly not get the numbers it potentially could have had this season. A good season will put peoples minds back into unsilly mode. Hopefully.!

Originally Posted By: The Skiing Lawyer
I'm interested to hear if there are any other people deciding to go to Niseko this season instead of Hakuba, perhaps after the experience of last season?

I know of a few people overseas who have done that. They were thinking of doing Hakuba this year but made the decision to go to Niseko this coming season based on what the season was like last season.

Now I'm sure that some people will think that is just ridiculous - but people are doing this. Anyone else heard stories like that?

I hit Niseko/Rusutsu last year for the first time in like 6 years and really wanted to go back and see my old mates. Had a great time and found some sweet snow too. There were crappy days up there with some rain falling and skiing powder was like being in cement, but thats just the way it goes.

Wanted to hit Hakuba this year but my mate wants to go touring around some other areas up there so back to Hokkaido for me. Actually looking forward to hitting 3 new resorts up in Hokkaido party

edit:

My reason for going to Hokkaido has nothing to do with the snow situation. You can look back and see we have had some sick starts to the winter on Honshu and some late ones. Nevertheless, it usually is going off by Christmas so not to worry. Whether you are hitting Honshu or Hokkaido you will prolly have a great trip!
Originally Posted By: tripler
Hakuba needs to build a new lift to use the 1000 meters of vertical above the top lift. And have some hotels halfway up the mountain.

I wonder if it is viable, due to the number of high wind days ? Anyone have a clue ?

Anyway, I would rather just walk up there on the nice days......

After last season, Hakuba could deffo do with a good one for o/s demand.

That said, bad seasons aren't so bad for people with Japanese guests, because when it is bad in Hakuba, it is worse in lots of other ski areas on Honshu where most Japanese folks live. There is the odd place where it can be better, like high up at Shiga Kogen, but they're aren't many. In a warm winter, the ones to worry about are the mid-sized resorts in less snowy areas. They can't open up at all.

Originally Posted By: rider69
I don't think there is a Mt. Happo is there? Maybe the first section of the climb up is Mt. Happo. The true peak though is Karamatsu Dake if I'm not mistaken.

If that says Karamatsu, then you could be right.
tripler_8.JPG

born and raised in nippon but havent been to hokkaido yet. maybe next summer for a motorcycle diary. i heard lots of good things about hokkaido so it is on my list but not this winter sadly. for me its very convenient to drive up to hakuba during winter. on friday after work pack and go ski sat and sun. lots of good onsens and tempura soba attract me to. im not a great snowboarder so the quality of snow and the steepness etc.. are not so big of a deal if you ask me im happy as long as i have fun on snow with otomodachi.

i like the view of happo. went hiking last month and here is ze photo.