Is there a website with free historical snow data for Japan? I know about Now reports on here but there's nothing since 27 Nov for Hakuba despite last night's snowfall. From the webcam it looks like 1 or 2cm at the top of the gondola.

I'm particularly interested in finding out early in the morning how much it snowed last night to decide whether it's worth heading up.

• SnowJapan Admin

What is it that you want tripler? Historical snow data, or data for early this morning? Your post confuses me.

There will be a Hakuba report going up today with the latest - and there always will have been a report if and when anything significant happens in this very early part of the season. You might have noticed that the season hasn't started yet. Once the snow arrives and things get going then the reports will be kicking into daily gear.

If anyone knows of a "free historical snow data website for Japan", please contact me about it by email. Don't post it here. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: SJForums
What is it that you want tripler? Historical snow data, or data for early this morning? Your post confuses me.

Doesn't historical snow data just mean recorded snowfall as opposed to forecasts? But what interests me at the moment is very recent historical data, like how many cm's fell last night.

Got a feeling that on the snow-forecast website last season you could see historic data but can't find anything like that there now.
  • SnowJapan Admin

Like I said, there should be a report today.

If there has/had been significant snow in this pre-season period, we will have posted a report.

Once the season starts, the reports will get to daily.

The season has not yet started in Hakuba.

Our daily snow depth data that we provide each season will begin updating soon and we will post when that happens.

snow-forecasts do forecasts, not historical snow depths. Their forecast data, along with those snow depth data, is displayed on our resort pages of this site for most major resorts.

Here is the page for Happo, with the forecast and predicted snow for the coming 6 days, updated multiple times daily:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=65

As the forecast stands now, in the coming 6 days they have a total of 0cm of snow forecast for the base of Happo and a total of about 5cm of snow at 1831m.

That is all free, to you.

Originally Posted By: Korbzy
hopefully things pick up by christmas time because hakuba looks really poor atm, compared to all the other years hakuba normally has about 50cm+ at top and atm there is only a few cm :S

Yeah, there's no snow in Hakuba atm. Its pissing down with rain as best skier keeps saying.

However, your "all the other years" comment is wrong, because we've had the first snow much later than this a few times in the past nine years. Even that's only a sample of nine.

When you have to go to Tsugaike on Christmas Eve to ride the upmost main course (skiers right from gondola top) and can only ride about 300 meters of a maybe seven degree course past eight movable snow machines that are on during the day and blowing "snow" into your face as you go past, that is a "really poor" start in my book.

It's only a forecast, but initial signs are good for snow from about the 12th onwards.
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles

Yeah, there's no snow in Hakuba atm. Its pissing down with rain as best skier keeps saying.

However, your "all the other years" comment is wrong, because we've had the first snow much later than this a few times in the past nine years. Even that's only a sample of nine.

When you have to go to Tsugaike on Christmas Eve to ride the upmost main course (skiers right from gondola top) and can only ride about 300 meters of a maybe seven degree course past eight movable snow machines that are on during the day and blowing "snow" into your face as you go past, that is a "really poor" start in my book.

It's only a forecast, but initial signs are good for snow from about the 12th onwards.

I was only lookin back 3-4 years razz but im sure it will be a great season, as long as its better then the Australian snow then I won't be dissapointed. smile

And im stuck with teaching my gf how to ski as it will be her first time lol

I agree with Mr. Wiggles. My experience is that you are tempting fate expecting snow in Hakuba at Xmas time. Over the years I'd had more bad experiences than good at that time of the season. A few years ago my winter holidays got bumped ahead by a week. Usually, I'm off from about the 15~16th of December each year now. To make the most of my early start I always head to Hokkaido.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles

Which year was that, Mr Wiggles?
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I agree with Mr. Wiggles. My experience is that you are tempting fate expecting snow in Hakuba at Xmas time. Over the years I'd had more bad experiences than good at that time of the season. A few years ago my winter holidays got bumped ahead by a week. Usually, I'm off from about the 15~16th of December each year now. To make the most of my early start I always head to Hokkaido.

not true, usually in Hakuba you can get 50-150cm dumps. 2,3,4 and 5 years ago, we were getting some pretty huge dumps at Xmas. FTs place was buried up to the roof.

When it falls early, its great. December is a gamble for overseas folks, but if they get lucky, the payoff is really big. No tourists and no patrol. Every time is snows early, half this forum seem to sit back and say "Well I'm going when there is more snow" even though every Now! report will be screaming snow snow snow! Some thing they may not be saying so much when peak season comes around.

That really bad start was December 2004. It finally started snowing like mad on Christmas Day.

I was actually told it was very good to go around late december, in australia they even had hakuba specials for december the 5th..

i didn't realise that its actually better to go late january or even hakkaido. im never going to believe any travel agents anymore >.>

i guess i will have to make the most of it even if its little snow.

Hey Korbzy

It's still early days brother! Everything can change very fast. One storm and away we go! That said, I doubt it'll be fast enough for anyone sold a Dec 5th package to Hakuba. I guess they'll be shuffled off to the snow monkeys and then Matsumoto Castle. They're interesting places, but maybe not when you've been sold powder freshies.

The weather has been kind of unpredictable in recent years, so its hard to know when is the best time to go. Last season it would have been the last few days of March!

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
not true, usually in Hakuba you can get 50-150cm dumps. 2,3,4 and 5 years ago, we were getting some pretty huge dumps at Xmas. FTs place was buried up to the roof.

Sorry CB, even just by looking at the reports from this site for Xmas day you can see:
last year -10-25 cms at base (patchy, almost unskiable)
2 years ago - 60cms at base (rain the previous night, spring conditions)
3 years ago - 15cms at base (limited lifts, man-made snow)
4 years ago - 175cms at base (awesome year, I was there, lucky me smile )
5 years ago - 45cms at the TOP (no report for base coz there wasn't one, limited lifts, man-made snow)

I realize you said Hakuba 'can' get 50-150 cms 'dumps' but I would say, without a doubt, (through personal experience and the data on this site) that the odds are not in your favour if you choose to go that early in the year. Even years that there has been more snow, previous to 5 years ago, it came all at once right on or just before Christmas day. Looking at that kind of data anyone coming from overseas should set their expectations pretty low or risk getting set up for disappointment (especially compared to what we all know is possible for that area). I love Hakuba and have been lucky there plenty of times with amazing snow (New Year's '07-'08 was amazing... about 150cms in 3 days) and think everyone should go there for a surreal Japanese ski experience, but it's better to be realistic about the conditions.

I always save my trips to Nagano until Jan. or Feb. now to maximize my chances for good conditions but since my main holiday is from the 16th of December until the 10th of January choosing to go to Hokkaido early in the season is the only way I can be sure to make the most of my winter. That being said we were getting rained on in Hokkaido last year at that time so nowhere is perfect !! wink
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

[...]
2 years ago - 60cms at base (rain the previous night, spring conditions)

Maybe CB was confusing christmas eve with new year's eve. I see from my photos that the first proper dump was on new year's eve, though the whole resort was skiable on the 20th (when I arrived), which it wasn't last season. First proper dump last season was on the 26th of December (ie. earlier than 07-08) BUT it was on a resort in much worse shape snow-wise than the same time the previous season.

Whao, just noticed Korzby's post at 3:30pm. I don't want to deter you from going to Hakuba mate. It's an awesome place with some of the best terrain I've skied or boarded. Just have realistic expectations. When it dumps there you're in for a treat. I'm spoiled for choice because I don't have far to travel so I'm pickier than most when it comes to my winter sports. Hakuba area was my introduction to skiing and snowboarding in Japan so it'll always have a place in my heart! I haven't been since the big dump at the end of December '07 but just booked a holiday there in Feb. this season. Hoping it's going to be the highlight of my winter wink.