In Japan, people are glad to pay high prices just to have the illusion of quality. I've been boarding here for over a year and I can assure you you won't find a real 'cheap' store anywhere in Japan. You can always do second-hand shopping if you don't care about quality really, but I'll assume you care a bit and recommend you go to stores like Murasaki Sports and Sports Authority, get a feel for what you want (test gear you want), take note of sizes/makes/models, and go online to either yahoo auctions or rakuten and buy your stuff there. I got bindings and a board that were listed for over 100,000 yen in my local murasaki sports for just over 50,000 on rakuten.

Originally Posted By: noonsa
Yes, go to the store for fitting. Then buy on Rakuten. Prices on Rakuten are easily 30% cheaper than what you get in the stores.

If you're lucky the prices can be almost in line with US prices!

yeah, that's about right! too bad if you're big-footed looking for a snowboard you're limited to a handful of decent boards. no matter how hard i try i can't get short/wide boards shipped from the states because of restrictions (stores can't ship certain brands overseas)

would kill for a K2 Darkstar in a 154 wide!!!!
Originally Posted By: noonsa
Yes, go to the store for fitting. Then buy on Rakuten. Prices on Rakuten are easily 30% cheaper than what you get in the stores.

If you're lucky the prices can be almost in line with US prices!

But if the store is busy, don't waste the salesman's time. He's trying to make a living. You wouldn't want to be jerked around in your job, would you?

If you guys are around next weekend, you might want to check out Big Site on Odaiba for the Winter Sports Festa. A lot of snowboard stuff but skis/ski boots available, too. Click the square on the bottom left.

http://www.wintersportsfesta.jp/index02.html

the salesmen are seasoned. They see you try it, it fits, it looks good, all OK, then to close it they offer a 10% discount. Great stuff thumbsup My wife bought her ski boots that way. And she was very happy. Me more so.

Just ask for the best price and show that you are ready to go for it. And then suck some teeth.