Hey guys,

So I am looking to move to Hokkaido next winter. I am a local out here in Utah and ski at the Bird/Alta/PC. I was wondering what a good job would be to get in Hokkaido. Also what do the locals think of Americans working there? I have a ton of experience with backcountry in UT, VT, and CO.

Are there a lot of great spots to build jumps and AT around everywhere? Thanks guys.

First thing is to make sure you are able to get a visa to work here. Quite a few Americans live and work in the Niseko area and we don't hold their nationality against them too much razz

Originally Posted By: Go Native
First thing is to make sure you are able to get a visa to work here. Quite a few Americans live and work in the Niseko area and we don't hold their nationality against them too much razz

Ah great. Is a visa pretty hard to get currently? Also I do speak Japanese, not extremely well but enough to be polite and engage in conversation. Ski instructing jobs pretty easy to get?

I have no idea how you guys go about getting work visas. I'm sure a quick internet search will get you that info.

Speaking some Japanese can be helpful in getting a job depending on the position you go for. Instructors don't normally need to speak a word of the local lingo though as they'll only be intructing english speakers.

Better in my experience.

Spent the 2003/04 in Park City and skied all the Utah resorts except Brian Head.

Had superb pow from December through to April, but had better each of my three winters on Hokkaido.

Enjoy the Cirque.

Thanks Mike, yeah I have skied here for 3 years and know it pretty well. There is some gnarly stuff and I have gained a lot of backcountry experience. Do they bomb resorts in Japan as much as they do here? I am still a noob when it comes to the Japanese snow scene.

Also, how hard was it to get a visa for you or to get out to Japan?

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
I don't get it, why do Aussies dislike Americans so much?

I think you misunderstood my post?

I was inferring that in the apres areas, where two or more Aussies gather, they will become drunk and obnoxious!! LOL
Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
I don't get it, why do Aussies dislike Americans so much?

I think you misunderstood my post?

I was inferring that in the apres areas, where two or more Aussies gather, they will become drunk and obnoxious!! LOL

Ahhhh okay good. That's something I can appreciate haha. I can dabble in that. cheers

Japan is a Visa free travel country. Getting a work Visa though is not easy. This is a bad sugjestion but your best way in might be to teach English. Also look at some of the resort maps and see what you want to ski. This country gets 400 to 550 inches of snowfall in most areas. Snowfall is really the least of your problems in Japan.