Whats up everyone? I'm in the Navy and I'm getting stationed in Yokosuka, Japan in January. I definitely wanna shred when I get there.. what is the closest mountain to Yokosuka and does it have a decent terrain park? I love snowboarding and park is all I ride, just wanna find out the best places to ride, how to get there, whether to bring my snowboard gear from back home, and possibly find some other military members on here that would want to tag along! Thanks!

Yokosuka isn't anywhere near to the mountains. Its next to Yokohama (which is my neck of the woods), so to get to a decent mountain you'll have to either take a train from Tokyo station, the Shinkansen runs directly into Yuzawa, where there are quite a lot of resorts near to the station, but the biggest one is kagura/Mitsumata. It joins up with Naeba as well so the amount of terrain available is huge. The Shinkansen also goes to Nagano station where you can take a shuttle bus to the hakuba resorts, Shiga Kogen and a multitude of others. Access from Kanagawa/Tokyo area is pretty easy. If trains aren't your thing then there are plenty buses that leave for resorts all over Honshu from Yokohama and Ikebukero in Tokyo.

ta. another thing.. I've heard in order to ride the trains in Japan you need a "JR Pass", which you cannot acquire while in the country. Is this true? Is it possible to make a day trip to Kagura or is it too far? Can you take a snowboard on the trains? What am I looking at as far as money for a lift ticket/train rides for a day?

Don't need a JR pass at all. You need to buy a train ticket. And yes, Kagura is easily done within one day.

For you, take the keikyu line to Shinagawa, change to the Yamanote line to Tokyo, change at Tokyo to the Joestu Shinkansesn (preferably the MAX Tanigawa - god love that train!) and get off at Echigo Yuzawa.

In terms of cost, try looking at the JR homepage for the pamphlets, as the cost depends on when you go, ie weekday/weekend/holiday, morning/afternoon/evening but on average from 9k up to 11k for train and lift pass.

If you want park I would not go to Kagura.

I would go to naeba or okutadami when its open.

Also joestu kokusai isnt half bad.

Also consider a long trip to Gifu ken and hit Takasu snow park for a good J park

The JR Rail Pass is for visitors to Japan - if you are resident (they check your passport) you can't buy or use one.

Tubby's advice is accurate. For weekend trips from the Tokyo / Yokohama area, the shinkansen from Tokyo station to Echigo-Yuzawa (about 90 minutes) is the quickest way to get to the slopes.

JR do special one-day and weekend deals which cover a return rail ticket, lift pass for a resort and a discount ticket for equipment hire (if you need it). These are really good value and very convenient.

SdS

up until the 14th Dec its about 8000 yen for a JR Ski deal to Kagura, this includes shink ticket and lift ticket. From Dec 14th - 25th (i think) it goes up to 9k.

Kagura is very doable for a day trip, I often do this throughout the season. as is the rest of Yuzawa

• 10 months later...

thanks everyone for the responses and here I am almost a year later to follow up on them lol.. last season I didn't get to go snowboarding at all but I'll be damned if I don't this season..

Few questions..

skidaisuki - you said JR does special deals for a train ticket + lift ticket.. where can I find these offers?

Joumba - where is that place? is it just a small indoor hill or what? I went to the website but unfortunately I can't read Japanese.

also.. should I bring my snowboard gear to Japan? I'm going back to the States for Xmas and the return trip would be a perfect time for me to come back with all my snowboard gear. Again - do they allow you to bring a snowboard on the train?

Thanks yall..

-Ranger

they aren't out yet, wat until the end of November and then the brochures are all out in the travel agents in the JR stations

don't think the Shinkansen is expensve, JR does lft ticket and shink ticket deals. For Kagura it'll start being around 8 or 9k for the early season, then will jump up to 11 or 12k for peak season. This is still pretty cheap considering its a return shnk ticket and lift ticket price. the buses are much cheaper though

noticed that the JR Brochures are out so I grabbed a few today and had a flick through. These include a return shinkansen ticket to Tokyo and the resort lift ticket

At a glance prices:

KAGURA- Nov 20th to Dec 10th 8500ï¿¥

Dec 11th to Dec 22nd 9100ï¿¥

GALA- Dec 10th to Dec 22nd 8300ï¿¥

NAEBA- Dec 4th to Dec 22nd 8300ï¿¥

HAKUBA 47 & GORYU- Dec 1st to Dec 17th 11,000ï¿¥

As Rob has said its a return shink from Tokyo to Echigo Yuzawa, then its a 20 minute bus ride from right outside the station to Kagura or 25-30 mins to Naeba. Usually the ticket will also include the local train from Yokohama to Tokyo