Is it crazy to arrive in Hokaido during february snow festival?

Hey

I'm taking my first trip to Japan next february. YOO HOOO!!! So super excited!

I'll have about 3 weeks to play around. One thing: I'm looking at arriving in Sapporo right in the middle of the ice festival (feb 9th). Is that a crazy time to arrive? OK, I'm sure the festival would be cool to see, but really this is a ski trip for me. So ice sculptures are not my priority.

On the other hand, if you all say "Dude, you GOTTA see it!" then I'd go check it out for sure.

I'm concerned with accommodation, transport, etc.

While I'm at it: any advice on which resort to start at? What would be a good, easy intro to Japan skiing (yep I'm a skier) with good (advanced) terrain, easy access, etc. I'm thinking Niseko first.

Thanks a bunch!

-Eric (A yank in kiwiland)

defintely worth seeing, especially at night. There are several sites, the Odori park one is the main/biggest. Accomodation would be tigh-ish for the usual ones, but there are about six hundred thousand hotels in Sapporo, so you should be able to get a room somewhere.

Niseko is a good place to start.

Accomodation is mega expensive during the ice festival but HEY your there GO stay 1 night somewhere and go see it. It is worth going and having a look then you can get up bright and early in the morning catch the bus to Niseko and be on the slopes by the afternoon PERFECT! smile

My mate has a book that lists the 100 things you should see in the world before you die. The snow sculptures were (i believe) number 6 or number 8. Ridiculously high. If you happen to be there anyway and have three weeks to kill, youd honestly be daft to not spend a night enjoying them. Not to sound too much like a hippy, but part of the fun of snowboarding around the world is that you get to see some astonishing things in your trip, and they arent all related to half pipes smile Take a break and soak it in. Youll kick yourself when youre in your 60s if you dont.

Sapporo is expensive during ice festival period (4-7 Feb the most expensive cause it's a Japanese holiday), but accommodation at the ski resorts is not peak season rates.

Word of caution - avoid Niseko during Chinese New Year (13-20) Feb, prices are at peak season rates, the place is packed and the majority of the accommodation is already booked out for this period anyway.

Originally Posted By: acpowman
Sapporo is expensive during ice festival period (4-7 Feb the most expensive cause it's a Japanese holiday), but accommodation at the ski resorts is not peak season rates.
Word of caution - avoid Niseko during Chinese New Year (13-20) Feb, prices are at peak season rates, the place is packed and the majority of the accommodation is already booked out for this period anyway.

Yeah it may get packed but not the same standards as Australia and New Zealand. Also we have found Feb the best time for sweeeeeet poowder so am happy to put up with the crowds.

Hey, thanks everyone. I think I'll spend a night in Sapporo on my way in. Maybe treat myself to a nice place the first night before I start on the backpackers stint.

Oh, one more question: anyone flown into Osaka and then flown domestic to Sapporo? Seems that's how my flights from NZ are sometimes routed. I know there are 2 airports in Osaka, and not sure where the Sapporo flights leave from.

Hey Santa Cruz: If you're keen to meet up with another CA guy and show these Aussie's how to ski powder, let me know. Bay Area transplant in NZ now.

--Eric

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
You are able to book a day trip by bus from Niseko for the Snow festival during that period - you don't have to stay in Sapporo. Sure you lose a day on the snow - but everyone needs a rest day.

It's still cheaper in Sapporo.
Originally Posted By: Moonwalker
Hey Santa Cruz: If you're keen to meet up with another CA guy and show these Aussie's how to ski powder, let me know. Bay Area transplant in NZ now.

--Eric

Eric, I'm down to meet up. I'll be in Niseko Jan31 - Feb14. I haven't done to much riding in powder, but I'm there to learn! I'm a San Diego transplant in Seattle now. Did school at UCSC. PM me so we can work out details.
Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Originally Posted By: Moonwalker

--Eric

Eric, I'm down to meet up. I'll be in Niseko Jan31 - Feb14. I haven't done to much riding in powder, but I'm there to learn! I'm a San Diego transplant in Seattle now. Did school at UCSC. PM me so we can work out details.

Hey, I'm new on the forums, so PM is disabled for me for now. When it kicks in I'll send you a message.

--Eric