Japanese accents on gaijin

Is it just me, or is it really irritating when a gaijin puts on a really hardcore Japanese accent?

I like my Britishness to come out in my accent, as long as its pronounced correctly I don't see the need to put on a whiny voice or a deep voice, or deliberately put in redundant words like 'sa' or 'nanka ne...'

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean filler language or actual accent/pronunciation?

I for one use 'sa' purely because have picked it up from hearing it in conversations I've had in my time here. Stuff like that is native that can't be picked up from books or studying. As long as the person isn't being racist with the accent, then I have no issue with the accent, shows they are trying to make the effort to make themselves understood.

My best mate lived in Japan for almost 4 years, spoke **** all Japanese and when he tried to, he murdered it with some shocking pronunciation that couldn't be understood.

Hmmmm well I want to speak Japanese as well as possible.

No point in having a crap accent if you don't have to and if you have been here a long time and try your Japanese is going to get more natural even if you'll always have some gaijin accent to whatever degree.

I know what you mean though I think it's more about behaviour than the language used.

In the bar I own I've met some gaijin who come in and speak to me in Japanese. Now last time I looked I really didn't appear to look anything like a Japanese person. So why the hell would they speak to me in Japanese? I really find that annoying. Especially as I can barely understand a word they're saying regardless of accent razz

Funny!

I would have thought one gaijin to another they would have been thankful for the opportunity NOT to practice their Japanese!

Although as an interpreter (and therefore fluent) I have sometimes found myself conversing away in Sign Language - big group of Deaf people - then all of a sudden I realize I am talking to a hearing person, but we are both still signing to each other. Cracks us up every time.

Maybe it was just habit for the gaijin too...

I know what you mean Bobby. I have a mate whose Japanese is pretty decent but when he speaks Japanese he puts on this really high pitched squeaky girl accent (cos his girlfriend has this annoying type of girl accent) and it really bugs the life outta me!! There is NO need to put that on!! Although when you think about it, if you wanna sound as natural as possible you will have to develop an accent. Think of how difficult/annoying english is to understand in some of the worlds accents!

I don't know MB, a few of them seem to have become very Japanised, they wear similar local fashions and once they realise you don't speak good Japanese they move off to speak to someone who does. Frankly though as long as they're buying drinks they could speak to me in Swahili for all I care biggrin

Very interesting thread. I have been taking Japanese lessons for about 4 months now, 1 a week and am getting NO BETTER. The other day I had a japanese couple in and thought I would practice on them. THEY HAD NO IDEA WHAT THE HECK I WAS SAYING!!!!! Is it because we have a different sound when we are saying it even though we may be saying it right??

It has terrified my so I have stopped my lessons and am now to scared to use it when I go over. sadface

I was having fun learning it though.

don't worry snowhuntress.

Many a time (eg ordering at a restaurant) I would speak perfect Japanese (with Nagoya ben) and the person would just stand there like a stunned mullet. I think it throws them as they are expecting to hear English.

saa, After a long time in the place you will naturally pick up an accent, especially if you have Japanese mates. Sounds better I think.

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
Very interesting thread. I have been taking Japanese lessons for about 4 months now, 1 a week and am getting NO BETTER. The other day I had a japanese couple in and thought I would practice on them. THEY HAD NO IDEA WHAT THE HECK I WAS SAYING!!!!! Is it because we have a different sound when we are saying it even though we may be saying it right??

Perhaps they simply weren't expecting Japanese? They may have been thinking, "Argh, my English lessons have been useless -- I can't understand a word she said!"
Originally Posted By: Indo
don't worry snowhuntress.
Many a time (eg ordering at a restaurant) I would speak perfect Japanese (with Nagoya ben) and the person would just stand there like a stunned mullet. I think it throws them as they are expecting to hear English.

saa, After a long time in the place you will naturally pick up an accent, especially if you have Japanese mates. Sounds better I think.

X2

Do you think the same thing about Japanese who use gambits as well, Bobby? All the ã‚ã®ã†ã€‚。。ã¦ã‚†ã‹ã€‚。。ãˆã£ãƒ¼ã¨ã€‚。。ã§ã™ã­ã€‚。。ãªã‚“ã¦ã„ã†ã‹ã€‚。。ã›ã‚„ã‚“ãªã€‚。。what about all the different colloquial styles as well? Do you think Japanese sound dumb for using them? We are a product of our environment, much like babies learn, we learn what we hear, and repeat it as well. I dont understand the difference.

The only thing I cringe at when I hear other gaijin speak Japanese is when they sound like their girlfriends and use female speech patterns. Otherwise, for me it is nothing odd to be sitting around with my J-mates speaking Kansai ben here, or Hiroshima ben when I go back there. Now only if I could learn ZuZu ben and really mess with people biggrin
Originally Posted By: Go Native
In the bar I own I've met some gaijin who come in and speak to me in Japanese. Now last time I looked I really didn't appear to look anything like a Japanese person. So why the hell would they speak to me in Japanese?

Put yourself in their shoes. Unless you have a sign up advertising your language preference, they may not know what it is.
Originally Posted By: thursday
rollabout I see a Chinese in London, I speak Chinese to him. Just common courtesy

Fine, if you know he is Chinese. How does a random bar patron know what nationality Go Native is, or where he was raised?
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Originally Posted By: Go Native
In the bar I own I've met some gaijin who come in and speak to me in Japanese. Now last time I looked I really didn't appear to look anything like a Japanese person. So why the hell would they speak to me in Japanese?

Put yourself in their shoes. Unless you have a sign up advertising your language preference, they may not know what it is.

Believe me they knew. Maybe they are just showing off their language skills or possibly they have become so engrossed in the culture that they only want to associate with those that speak Japanese. They were native English speakers themselves, as that's what they do, teach English.