My eldest got his license just under 2 months ago - had his first car accident yesterday.

He cleaned up a pole last week - you know one of those invisible bollard type things that you can't see out of any of the mirrors!

But this was a 3 car crash. He was turning into a Petrol Station driveway just prior to a set of traffic lights, and had to wait for a lady to pull out as she was taking up the entire driveway coming out. A middle aged fellow in his massive 4WD simply failed to stop. Rammed into the back of my stationery son's ute and launched him forward to T-bone the woman who was coming out. The 4WD driver was apologetic and admitted fault, reckoned he thought the boy was turning at the lights and simply didn't stop.

Kid is unhurt. Car is drivable, but a mess front and back.

I feel awful for him. Not his fault, and a worse accident than I have ever had in my 23+ years of driving. sadface

How many years/months were you driving before you had your first crash, and how bad was it?

I had my one and only about 8 yrs ago (20 yrs driving) when a lady pulled in front of me and I t-boned her.

She was fortunate that I managed to wash off quite a lot of speed so I was only doing 20ish when I hit her.

Her logic was that she couldnt see, so she assumed nothing was coming.

I was driving a commodore and just damaged the front grill and radiator, her hyundai was a write off and both her and the passenger were taken to hospital in an ambulance with leg injuries.

really makes me wanna buy a hyundai!!

Hyundai's are designed to crumple and therefore absorb the impact, rather than give you life threatening whiplash - seems all good in theory, but I think the manufacturers forgot to install the safety shell/passenger pod that doesn't crumple!!

Was thrilled the boy was driving a big new tough ute.

the Hyundais now have a door bar that should help a bit while being T-boned.

Their Euro NCAAP scored something like zero which made the Euro NCAAP people rather cross. 'cos that means pedestrians will get slaughtered.

My first crash was ages ago, on a motorcycle. Actually in the region of 1977, after I had had my licence for 6 months. Not my fault, some cretin in a car decided to pull across the road in front of me, so they could get into a parking station, trouble was that I was about to overtake them as there was nowhere for them to go, the entry to the carpark was a ways down the road.

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
Originally Posted By: thursday
I once had a Hyundai Santa Fe. The plastic trim actually can cut you if you stroke it. It was a nasty piece of junk which we gave away to a friend.

lol you obviously didnt like that friend lol

this is what it looked like

13430754030.268977801.IM1.03.565x421_A.5

So giving it away was no prob.

Actually, I've been travelling around Kyoto for a couple of weeks, returned 1 Nov.

Had a great time, saw some wonderful early Autumn colours, caught some fabulous craft exhibitions, did the Hozugawa boat ride too.

Now, back to "reality"! Bugger! violin

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
Originally Posted By: thursday
I once had a Hyundai Santa Fe. The plastic trim actually can cut you if you stroke it. It was a nasty piece of junk which we gave away to a friend.

lol you obviously didnt like that friend lol

Was thinking the same!
Originally Posted By: JA
Not edited yet, will do so shortly. But only if you guys stop hassling me banner

Hassle hassle hassle smile

Would love to see your pic's when you get a chance JA.
Welcome back wave

My first was soon after I got my first car in Japan. On black ice. I wasn't going fast at all but going round a corner. Started slipping.... very slowly almost in slow motion and ended up hitting an oncoming car. I was fairly new here and didn't know much or much Japanese so was very apologetic to like everyone in the world for a short period!

never had a crash.......

I can't drive lol

Seriously Tubby?

I often wondered about people who live in area's of high density and good public transport - it is much easier to use that than drive. My cousin (a mother of 2) just got her license recently, but never needed it living in London. Now she is in Bath it was more convenient to get one.

No real option here in Perth. Want a life? Get a license! Simple as that.

It wouldn't matter to me if I worked in a high density area with good public transport I just have to have a car. It's not about day to day getting to work where I have often used public transport in the past. It's about my free time in which I love to just head off for a drive and explore. I don't want to be restricted in where I go by public transport access and schedules. Plus I love hiking and backcountry skiing and many of those areas just aren't accessible using public transport. I've met a few people in Niseko who have never had a license, most of them are poms. Can't understand it myself.