I would estimate skiable snow disappears from Fuji in mid June. For best results I would say now to the end of May for skiing. I saw Fuji a few days ago and I recommend doing the Gotenba trail since most of the snow is on the southeast side of the mountain.

Quote:
Originally posted by TeleSkier:
I hiked Fuji again at the end of last August and there was still a little snow in the creator.
What's this then? You've seen the creator? I knew Mt Fuji was high, but I didn't know it was that high. So how is the old man? Good thing he doesn't have any snow in him, it might give high indigestion and have him throwing thunderbolts down to earth!

BTW, when you went to the top of Mt Fuji, how was the "crater"?

Markie - you will have to excuse me for my most heineious error with the spelling of that thing that is at the top of Fuji that sometimes spills hot liquid magma (lava). Problem is, I have only been back in Japan for a few days and I have been pretty much been on a five day bender....Anyway there was a little snow in that hole in late August when I was up there. Don't worry, I don't think it is going to turn into a glacier or something to that effect. BTW, when I went up there in the beginning of last June there were ski tracks down into it. Definitely pretty cool. I may head up there next week for my second annual Fuji ski trip. I was only able to ski about the top 60% last June so looking to ski down a little further this time. I'll have to keep an eye on the weather though. Anyone interested???

Hey, my man, firstly, glad to see you back safe and sound. Did you have to do any combat action?

Anyway, with the season over and a seven month wait for my next action, all I can do to alleviate my boredom is drift around here, and as this forum has more than its fair share of typos, it's ripe pickings for some wise-ass cracks, so you must excuse me.

Your offer to ski Mt Fuji has my mouth watering. If only I could get leave from my job I'd fly down in a flash. Have fun.

TS, what's the itinerary for a Fuji trip?

- what time do you start and finish?

- how far/long do you actually walk?

- where do you park?

- do you need to sleep near there?

Also

- what boots do you take (ie 2 types of boots)?

- do you wear skiwear and helmet?

- snowshoes or skins?

- how much water do you need?

Cheers.

My typical plan is:

- what time do you start and finish?

start 5:00~5:30 AM (head lamp)

Finish 1:30~2:30

- how far/long do you actually walk?

To the top, weather permitting ~ 6-7 hrs

- where do you park?

5th sation parking lot

- do you need to sleep near there?

up to you

Also

- what boots do you take (ie 2 types of boots)?

Up to you, but you will be walking mostly on snow.

- do you wear skiwear and helmet?

Ski wear, helmet optional

- snowshoes or skins?

none crampons

- how much water do you need?

Last year I took 2.5L

O11,

I typically tele. But soft board boots are indeed not suited to hike, unless crampons are attached. It is just a matter of weight if you want to hike w/ regular hiking boots+crampons and boots on your board. Also you will not sink in a Spring snow, so shoes are not necessary unless you want to use the teeth on them. I personally never seen shoes used on Spring Fuji san.

Thanks IM!

db, that's not a bad idea. Wouldn't want to board in them though.

Next question \:D

Is navigation much of a problem on Fuji? If cloud comes down, do you need to use a map and compass?

O11,

Last year, we skied down the two main snow banks (see first photo in Gallary by IM) along the hiking path so we were able to site the Summer time shacks along the way. But when snow is abound like this Spring, I'd recommend at least map/compass. If possible a GPS. You will eventually come out to a road, but hike back may be very long. And I will write a forum sometime.

Ocean - all great questions and IM your responses seem right on with what I would say. As for me, I hiked to Gotenba trail on the southeast side of Fuji. I just kind of lucked out since it looks like that side of Fuji usually has the most snow. As for what to bring. Well that all depends on the weather and the forecast. When I went last year in June it was quite warm for the most part. I hiked up in hiking boots all the way to the summit and didn't need crampons. Like IM said, the snow sets up in the spring and you won't be post-holing up there. As for the clouds - I recommend looking at the weather forecast and trying to hit it on a good day. If it were me and I saw the clouds rolling in I would call it a day and put the skis on and head on down. Personally, I don't think it is that much fun hiking and skiing in the clouds. As for how long it took. I think we started hiking around 730am and made the summit around 130am. I had a raging headache and felt like a rough morning after a few too many chu-hi's. I carried about 2.5 liters of water and had no problem drinking it all. You can always dump it out a la Chevy Chase in the movie "The Three Amigos". We made it back down around 5pm or so as the sun was disappearing behind the summit. It was a long day for sure. My best advice is going on a nice weather day. We lucked out and hardly had any clouds out there. Hope this helps some.

Ocean,

Maybe a few more answers for you. I live on the west side of Tokyo so I can be at Fuji in a little more than an hour with early morning traffic. The Gotenba parking lot is a ghost town and I am sure you can camp there if you would like. As for accomodations I am not that sure. The parking lot is plenty big and I am sure you can pitch a tent or just throw a sleeping bag out there. I didn't see anyone when I went up there. As for wearing snowboard boots. I do not recommend wearing those bad boys up there. Too long of a hike. I brought a ski parka, ski pants, gloves, and a winter hat. That pretty much worked well. Make sure you bring sun tan lotion - the backs of my legs got roasted on the hike up.

Hiked and boarded Fuji on Sunday morning. Left 5th station at at 5am, made it up to the top by 10. Bison effort. went up the trail, there was no snow so we didn`t have to use our crampons. Others went straight up the snow, took a little longer but everyone made it up before the clouds came in. The snow was seriously funky on the way down. Nevertheless, it was great feeling bashing my way down to the 5th station. Took about 20 minutes to get down. Went rock boarding for the final 100 metres. A fine farewell was given to my board.

I was a little surprised by the lack of snow in comparison to photos I`d seen from previous May visits. Better hurry if you wanna get it done.