Pre-college relationships - do they last?

My nephew is nearly 18 now and been going out with the same girl for 3 years. He's really conflicted about whether he is going to university or not - he could if he wanted.

Anyway my brother was going on about the relationship he has and that he should just try to forget that as most relationships break up once people go to college. In my group of friends at college only one pre-college long distance couple lasted the 3 years at uni.

Whats your experience on this? Anyone last it out or are pretty much most doomed?

I was going out with someone for a year before college - we lasted about 6 months after being split up. Most weekends going back and forth. Wasn't going to last. My best friend though is now married to the girl he went out with since he was 15, they survived uni and everything else.

Good for you Gareth. My Aunty and Uncle were like that - still together today 40 odd years later...

Papa and I met just prior to his 18th birthday, just after mine (While I was in my 1st year at Uni). We were engaged at 19, married at 20 (just after I finished 3rd year). We have been married 20 years this December - celebrating in Niseko smile

BUT...Aussie long term Uni relationships are very different scenario's to the UK and USA going off to college/Uni thing. Because the vast majority of Aussie kids stay at home for Uni, or move out to a flat within cooee of home. They do not move half way across the country and away from their love interest. It is not a long distance relationship. So not really fair to compare.

Surely he's not thinking about foregoing Uni to stay with his girl. That's the last thing he should do!!! At 18 he might think he knows everything already... Ha ha. Gotta learn about life. Same goes for the girl.

Pre-college relationship = failed soon after the start of college

College relationship = failed after the Master's Degree graduation

I can see what Mamabear is saying about kids staying in the general local environment making a difference - there's a fairly similar situation in Hawaii where I grew up.

Originally Posted By: Cheeseman
I met Cheesewoman at college.

Got a friend who has been going out with the same girl since he/they were 13!

how old is your friend now, 14?

dunno about college, but my current relationship lasted thru 3 years when we were in different countries and on different continents! Its now been 7 years we've been together. TBH when I left Japan the first time I didn't expect it to last but she visited me when I was in Oz and then again in malaysia, I came here for a New Year holiday and then she spent 6 months in Scotland and then I decided to come back here. The advice I would say is.....go with the flow, if its meant to last it will last

oh and my parents started have been seeing each other since they were 13!! omg

• 2 weeks later...