Madarao - free for kids (any other resorts do this?)

Last season Madarao near where I live let kids ski/board for free - anyone under 12. They also offered some free lessons. Apparently it was really popular and they are doing it this year as well. I see the spotlight page on here has been updated

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/spotlight/madarao-kogen.html

Any other places do that? Must make a big difference for familes out.

On the subject of Madarao, they are also opening up another ungroomed run this coming season. Worth a visit, if you go on a weekday it's not busy at all.

friend

Good to see that Madarao seems to be putting a bit of effort in. I went to Madarao last season and thought it was fun enough for a day or two. There were tonnes of beginners milling around the bottom but up top I had fresh tracks until well after lunch. The new ungroomed run is accessed from Tangram's lift. If it's the one I'm thinking of, then it could be done with a little walk across last year too. It's a pretty nice run.

Originally Posted By: thursday
kids free is a good idea. Get them into the sport and it will grow.

That is how I got into it. Ski areas in the town I grew up in let local kids ski for free. I quit once it started costing money, but here I am now, decades later, looking to pour significant chunks of my discretionary income into the sport.

haha, that statue of liberty has got to go!

The Airwave and Usagi runs were pretty good. The problem is that they finish up on the far side of the resort, and its pretty flat for quite a long way back to the main lift lift. Airwave II is in a better position.

• 2 weeks later...