How, What, and Where did you suffer your worst on snow injury

mamabear - proof those natural airbags come in handy sometimes...

I realise I'm a total wimp - or just lucky - compared to some of the horror stories posted here. Damn it, though, ribs really hurt.

It's the knees I worry about, though

Originally Posted By: Sciclone
Fortunately I didn't damage anything or scorpion myself, but I did have a little headache for the rest of the afternoon. I too will be getting a helmet this year.

oooohhhh...this reminded me of baby bears stack at Thredbo a couple of years back.

He caught a toe side edge when he should have been on his heel and did an incredible scorpion - 8yr olds are SO flexible. His board edge smashed into the back of his he...HELMET. If it had been his head the snow and ice would have been red real quick - thankfully he was riding with a helmet and there was just a big ding and scratch in the back of the helmet. ohh and a bit of a headache/neck ache.

My worst injury on the snow was a broken arm/ribs and concussion from landing on the flat in the halfpipe at Happo so wasnt able to work for the rest of the season. Luckily had insurance which still paid a large part of my salary at the time. Other injuries have been fractured ribs from hitting a tree, concussion a couple of times from doing stupid stuff and a couple of sprained wrists. Now Im an old man Im a lot more cautious so hopefully no injuries this coming season.

I'm not sure this is a good thread!!! veryshocked clap

Similar to watching Ski Patrol, show on the slopes showing all the accidents they have to tend to.

You know it happens but you don't want to know and you definately don't want it to happen to you.

So far mainly only pride hurt. ashamed

Last day of the season last year for me. (Second year on the slopes and started getting some real confidence :)). It was semi white out conditions on myoko playing on their little cross course with a few friends at the top of suginohara.

Was around mid march so snow was really slow and wet. Figured "what the hey!" let my foot off the brake and went flying down it. Was loving it, then hit the four little mounds towards the end of it. Came into the first one not so fast, came out at a decent speed. Hit the second one, and suddenly started feeling the pace, hit the third one, took off and realised id maybe bitten off more than i could chew. Was coming to the final one, was hitting warp speed and decided if i hit it id probably kill myself so bailed off the side. Of course it being slightly white out I didnt realise that it was a 2 foot straight drop. The front of board pranged in the snow, resulting in a twisted knee, clattered ribs (miraculously i crossed my arms over my chest on impact which probably saved me from a few broken ribs) and a mild concussion.

Of course being a martyr i got up (after i pushed my brain back into my face) and finished out the day. Woke up the day after and couldnt walk. Couldnt walk properly for a good two weeks after. Exercise was completely out of the question. And teh damn thing still hurts if i strain it, so looking good for a probable tear this year smile

Skiing in NZ in wind and rain, snow turning to elephant snot. Caught the right ski in some crud and went down heavy forward and in on the left (telemarking).

Snapped the ACL and tore the MCL.

Lesson: don't ski in poor visibility.

The NZ accident comp'n scheme is excellent, even covers foreigners. Saw physio and doctor on the mountain, same again off the mountain with X-rays. Only had to pay $70 all up. Luckily it was the last day.

I had to get back to Oz on crutches. But travel insurance was a dog. The MCL had torn before so they wouldn't commit to anything in advance without a letter from my doctor. I don't go to a doctor for knee rehab, this was a Friday and my physio couldn't be contacted til the following Wed. So yes, I could fly home in Business class at my own expense and try to claim it back later.

In the event, Air NZ were terrific and found me a spot to leave the leg stretched out in economy class on my existing ticket.

The main reason that colds spread so much in colder weather is that people stay inside in closed up houses/buildings with recirculated air - it is the perfect breeding ground for transmission of viruses, wheras in summer the viruses don't survive as long with the sunlight and fresh air diluting and killing them off.

However if you are harboring a bug and so far your body has done a good job of keeping it from taking off - the body stress of cold exposure can be enough of an immunity dip to allow the cold to take hold.