That's right. Kagura covers a wide area and while that can be a good thing it also means there's a lot of traveling to get to the best bits at Kagura. Usually great snow up there though.

Naeba is more like a resort in the traditional Japanese sense. Lots of lifts all together. Good place when it's not too busy, I'd always save it for a weekday.

Are those recent numbers of bubble-era numbers?

Like joshnii said there's a real sense of scaling down about Naeba these days, even more so this coming season I think. Which is worrying for such a big 'popular' resort.

Kagura (assuming you combine it with the connecting resorts of Mitsumata and Tashiro, which is what most people mean by 'Kagura') is higher, colder, larger, prettier and normally less crowded than Naeba and invariably has more & better snow. If you are travelling by train to Yuzawa from Tokyo, then it's also closer, as Naeba's further up the same Valley, though at a lower elevation.

Naeba's only better for rock festivals.

Case closed!

SdS

I think Kagura often seems overhyped. It takes ages to get to Kagura from Mitsumata and back again. There's lots of gentle 'road slopes'. The lifts at Tashiro are mad slow. There's no real reason to use the Dragondola other than if you are staying in Naeba and wanting to ski at Kagura.

The snow is often very good though best in the area. I just prefer somewhere more compact. If only it didn't take so much time.

Originally Posted By: The Skiing Lawyer
I think Kagura often seems overhyped. It takes ages to get to Kagura from Mitsumata and back again. There's lots of gentle 'road slopes'. The lifts at Tashiro are mad slow. There's no real reason to use the Dragondola other than if you are staying in Naeba and wanting to ski at Kagura.

The snow is often very good though best in the area. I just prefer somewhere more compact. If only it didn't take so much time.

the Gunma resorts tend to be smaller, the snow can often be awesome as well and its a little closer to Tokyo

I've really gone off Kagura the last few seasons. When I first came it was always the goto place. Now it often seems a drag, though like people say the snow is often the best in the region. Perhaps I overdid it like the nighta.

Hoping to check out quite a few new places again this coming season.