What exactly would you do in PMs? Shout at each other there? Or perhaps work it out and invite the other over for some afternoon tea and cucumber sarnies? confused

If you just put each other on ignore, and ignore each other, the rest of us would be thankful.

wink

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.. deteriorated this thread has!

acpowman - FYI - Thursday has been around here for a long time - he was a fixture before I landed here 3 odd years ago - and he is still here... He also does a fair bit of OS travel for skiing. He's not a knuckle dragger like me - a skier like yourself. Lives in HK and LOVES to ski in Niseko, every year! He has advice, it is just hidden amongst his stirring. Don't get upset - thursday is thursday - you will learn to love him.

For what its worth I agree with him. It is worth taking your own gear if you can afford it and you are up to the challenges.

Thursday- cut the new kids some slack .... let them see you slagging us off first wink

Back on topic:

I understand why people hire gear. And why they particularly hire gear for their kids....but I don't. We buy gear for us, and our 4 kids - and when they need new gear - hello CHRISTMAS gifts smile

Add to that. The technology advance argument is moot.

Hey I was skiing with mountaineering boots and spring loaded bindings on bamboo skis when I was in kindy. Now from that to, Look Nevada, Salomon 555 binding IS advance in tech. When Tirolia 360 Racing came out, that released your heel in ALL directions and improved safety in a big way.

Hanson, Salomon rear entry - That was advancement.

When it comes to skis, I had 120cm ballet to 197cm GSL. What I see is development in material science, and improvement in manufacturing process and new ideas what you can do with your skis.

One can ski pow with retro tech. We didn't have wide skis. I had a German binding that slid on its base so that I can change the set back, meaning I don't have to lean that much in pow. That's innovative thinking not necessary high tech.

Or a good example is : Anyone can surf with long board straight away, Can you with a short board? I bet it will take you 6 months.

Point being, current technology and thinking made skiing a hellava lot easier, but that doesn't mean it made people a better skier. If one only skis for a week at most every year, you are not going to improve in a big way. But it's all for fun right?

So, new tech is not going to make you a better skier, some one who skis less doesn't mean they are better off renting because of the time it pays off ...

Skiing equipment isn't that expensive. In Australia, you will pay AUD8000- for a new skydiving rig, maybe $150 a day for 3 jumps of which is each a minute of freefall and 10 min under canopy - all relative of course.

But hey, I paid Y100,000- for my skis in '81. You complaining about AUD1000 in 2009?

Buy the way, there is a point in renting. This is especially true in Europe. To try out new skis, to compare them to make a decision which one to buy. Sometimes you have free demo tents up in the resorts, or online/ shop sponsored events.

Man, I've travelled to the States with 2 parachuting rigs, camera helmet, etc.. probably close to 15 kg. Luggage itself is close to 5kg. So guess what I had to do to fit them all within limit.

All I am saying is, if you are experienced enough to travel, you know what kind of baggage (yes they weigh a lot) to use, how to pack, what to put in cabin baggage - Most important: You can send stuff unaccompanied (cargo) or thru the post system. You can pay excess getting there, but send your stuff through the post- especially boots, clothing ... coming home.

TB's advice is common sense. Airlines like FinnAir skis are excluded.

You guys are a bunch of amateurs. I don't take a lot of cloths on my way. I buy them when I get there. Forget laundry, just post them back. smile

By the way, when we have kids, Jr, will have a go when he is 3, he will get his own boots all the way. He won't get designer kid's clothing, but their are priorities when it comes to equipment.

wink

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
What exactly would you do in PMs? Shout at each other there? Or perhaps work it out and invite the other over for some afternoon tea and cucumber sarnies? confused

If you just put each other on ignore, and ignore each other, the rest of us would be thankful.

wink

gg, right on ! tell me about it shifty
Originally Posted By: acpowman
If you don't know what OS is then your dummer than i thought, and i can only presume you've never been "overseas" skiing ? and thus have no clue, so pull ur head in.
If you've wasted the time to read all my posts then you would also have read that i don't earn commission, and i'm def. (that's definitely for the simple minded) not trying to sell anything to anyone here....what is it i read you do, try to rip people off with real estate or something ?

this aimed at me??
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
If you don't know what OS is then your dummer than i thought, and i can only presume you've never been "overseas" skiing ? and thus have no clue, so pull ur head in.
If you've wasted the time to read all my posts then you would also have read that i don't earn commission, and i'm def. (that's definitely for the simple minded) not trying to sell anything to anyone here....what is it i read you do, try to rip people off with real estate or something ?

this aimed at me??

Way I read it it was directed at Thursday even though it came right after your comment.
Although if I was gonna caste aspersions on someones intellect I might make sure I spelled dumber correctly wink
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

this aimed at me??

Way I read it it was directed at Thursday even though it came right after your comment.
Although if I was gonna caste aspersions on someones intellect I might make sure I spelled dumber correctly wink

yeah I re-read the post and thought that it was at Thurs....in fact I thought I deleted my post, obviously not....maybe I'm DUMMER than I thought! wink

no no no Rogers head!

Cucumber Sandwiches done right are lovely. Very thin soft white bread with the crusts removed with a layer of thinly sliced cucumber in between cut into small fingers - mouthful sized, and served along with delicate cakes and biscuits for high tea.

buttered white bread, thinly cut cucumber and a little salt.

I remember the first time I had those, I thought, WTF wakaranai, this is a gay sandwich. But it turned out that men of the cloth liked them alot, so it was a paedophile sandwich instead.

Thanks all for your varied yet insightful comments...

1. Buy:- With the strong AUD, buying from the US seem like an attractive proposition (yes, we'll like to ski more regularly at home and NZ -and if all goes well with Japan, to try North America next winter). As an example, A kids ski, bindings, boots start from US$150. As beginner intermediates there's also a wider range of brands to choose from US retailer. Our local retailers would only sale items of advance to expert skis. Eg. A pair of 09 Rossignol Z3 Zeneith is US$400 - the local retailers don't offer these sort of intermediate skis here. The downside is definitely the freight cost. With the adult ski and 1 child package... the freight comes to nearly AUD$400. With a bit of juggling of items, and purchase of kids gear only, that may make the purchase from US justifiable. Yes - airline restrictions/hassles is also a big consideration. Apart from the strict 23kg limit, I also hear that most airlines restrict what you can put in the ski bags (absolutely no clothing items), they are not liable for damages on soft bags, only on the hard ones. ??

2. Rent:- I'll have to get onto some more research on this site to locate the local renters in the Sohoro region - just not very good navigating and locating those. Incidentally Larry Adler has confirmed they will do me the family $330 for six days and courier the skis from Niseko to Sohoro (both ways) for an additional courier charge of AUD$30 for 2adult&2kids skis/boots/pole(incl 1 snowboard for me). Is that realistic?-i.e. courier of ski/boards around Hokkaido that reasonable? Will I be risking my holiday of the equipment not arriving on time? Hmm... wonder if anyone here has ever done such an arrangement in Hokkaido?

Well Alx, I usually send all of my snowboard gear from Shizuoka (100kms West of Tokyo) to Niseko for 2000Y. That's usually three boards, two sets of bindings, boots, and all my clothes. It always arrives on time. I would imagine that just sending it a few kms (Niseko to Sohoro) would be both cheap and reliable. Can't comment on the quality of rental gear though because I never rent stuff in Japan.

Alx,

Last few times we have flown (first time it happened was Perth-Japan-Perth) we had to sign a disclaimer due to them being soft bags - we signed it - nothing got lost or broken. Not to say it wont - we lost a whole suitcase of gear (video camera, suunto watch, some clothing items, xmas gifts and all the toiletries) flying Perth to Heathrow (via Sing and Paris)this last January.

We always pack 2 boards, sets of bindings, helmets and whatever else can fit in to pad the bag out (ski jackets/pants/thermals/socks/goggles...)into each bag. Maybe because there are 6 of us. And if we have 3 board bags and 3 large suitcases (half a suitcase each) it works well, and we only have one piece each to be responsible for. When we travel like this it is usually Papa and the 2 older boys doing the snowboard bags and Me and the two little boys in charge of the suitcases. Sometimes I have to load the midget onto a suitcase and pull two cases....when he gets awful tired.

Never in 3 years had anyone query my snowboard bag for being packed with more than just a board...in fact when we travel for a girls trip, mens trip or the older boys go to NZ with school they ONLY take a snowboard bag. With only one board in there it has plenty of room to pack ALL your gear.

HTH

Heathrow is know to be the worst airport re: Stuff being stolen by baggage handlers. They all have a bundle of Samsonite keys with them so they can nick things.

Helmets you can carry it on board. You are allowed to carry headwear and it falls into that category.

BlackMountain, with your courier from Tokyo to Niseko ... was that overnight? For 2000 Y seem reasonable to expect that Niseko to Sahoro will be about that much too. Maybe because I'm use to the expensive courier charges in AU, that get's me worried that the rental quote will not be honoured. LarryAdler actually made the comment that they struggle to confirm with the BlackCatCouriers because their (the Oz rental shop) Japanese language skills is not too good!

TubbyBeaver/Mamabear,

What airlines are you referring to with the experiences that you described? When I checked with JAL recently, their official line is .. 23 kg per person (incl child) + 10 kg hand carry (that's going to allow heavier boots etc?) ... ski gear can go separately but cannot contain clothing. Another friend said that Air Canada is probably one of the more strict ones in that they refuse to carry soft bags for ski equipment (??).

Well... still waiting for my retailer in the US to respond. They don't seem very keen to have my business, so it's looking like the rental option is the way to go this time. Might only buy after this trip to Japan.. or.. buy in Tokyo.. and support the local economy there. :-)

Or wait until the next winter's trip to North America?! :-)

Alx, yeah, the courier is over a 24hr period. If it's sent in the morning it will be there the next morning. If I send it later in the afternoon or evening they won't guarantee that it'll be there the next morning... I usually use a company called Sagawa, but they are exactly the same service as BlackCat. I'm kind of surprised that the staff at the rental shop can't sort out the delivery service because of Japanese problems (it's pretty straightforward wink )

Airlines:

First trip: Cathay Pacific/JAL

2nd trip: Qantas/JAL

THIS trip: Qantas (with Qantas Club therefore extra 10kg per member- that is 20kg extra for our family) / JAL (code share with QANTAS so they honor the extra 20kg.

If you tend to fly Qantas anyway Qantas Club is a worthwhile investment as a skier/boarder. You get use of the Q Club when flying - YAY - PLUS an extra 10kg of luggage allowance. if you fly reasonably often then the first year costs you and the subsequent years you can usse your frequent flyer points to renew. WIN!