Tokyo to Yuzawa - is there a local train line?

Hi Katsudon! wave

There is a local line. You'd get the Takasaki line from Shinjuku up to Takasaki (in Gunma) and then move over to the Joestsu line which will take you to Echigo Yuzawa. It does take a fair bit longer, I'd guess around 4 hours compared to the less than 1.5 on the bullet.

There's also the expressway bus that goes from Ikebukuro that you could get.

You can get the expressway bus as Muika said, that would drop you at the Yuzawa IC, or you could get a ski package that will take you to the resort and back and the price includes your lift ticket. You can either take the day bus, cheaper and leaves at 7am from Ikebukuro BUT doesn't get you to the resort until 10-ish or you can take the night bus, a little more expensive but gets you there for first lift.

Don - you must have plenty of time on your hands! Having taken local trains home from the mountains once or twice before, I'd say it's more for the sightseeing than money saving that you'd do it (remember that during the season you can get a day return by shink Tokyo-Eichigo Yuzawa, plus lift pass for just over 11,000 yen).

Obviously local trains will be cheaper than going by shinkansen, but in my experience the cost saving : time ratio is pretty poor - it also involves changes, as so clearly explained by Muika above.

Done it 30 years ago cos no bullet then.

Kawabata's famous opening line. "Out of the tunnel, and it was snow country..."

Was really crowded, too. Would I do it again? No way, They say money can't buy time, but it's the closest you can get.