Happened today that it took forever to get out of the house, was running late, had a list of stuff a mile long to get achieved and had the youngest two kids in the car. But I was one of the first at the scene of a car accident.

Young bloke pulled out from a terminating road without looking and cleaned up a woman/carer and her male client (few stubbies short of the carton poor fella).

No one had stopped at the time I hit the hazards and began to pull up. But the truckie coming the other way beat me to drivers door by about 10 seconds.

We were joined about 5 minutes later by a nurse, thankfully. The young bloke was left being interviewed by police and the other two were carted off by ambulance. I needed to make a few calls to the carers workplace, and the nurses work etc.

But I was amazed at the people in front of me who failed to stop. I know when the kids were younger I wouldnt stop - but they were old enough now.

Do you/would you stop?

Do you have First Aid knowledge or training?

Would you know what to do?

it would depend on a number of factors. Like if it was just a minor bump, I'd laugh with the window wound down.

But if it turned intoa fireball, I'd get the video out and have it covered incase it was needed in an inquest.

If it was a major accident yes I would definately stop. Minor bumper to nose probably not.

I don't have first aid training but do have veterinary training which I must say has come in handy in quite a few emergency situations.

Definately know all the basics motorcycle accident do not remove the riders helmet. If the victim is conscious establish name, age, if they blacked out, do they know where they are etc. Keep asking these questions until ambulance arrives. Yeah I think I would know what to do until help arrives.

In most cases I would, I have a lot of first aid training and experience using it (3 years in a max security prison and you end up using a lot of 1st aid..).

There was one night when I was on a freeway and was sitting on about 110km/hr. A car came flying past me like I was barely moving, he must have been doing over 180. Just ahead of me he swerved to get around another car and lost control, flipped and rolled. No other cars became involved. I didn't stop for him as frankly I thought he deserved it and couldn't have cared less if he died.

YES

YES

YES

It is illegal not to stop.

D.A.B.C . Danger- assess situation so not to endanger yourself or others.

Airway, Breathing, Cardio.

You are not a medical practitioner. Trained good samaritan .

DR ABC Jynxx - dont forget RESPONSE.

Last time I did a First Aid course the whole resus thing had changed. No more E.A.R. by itself, CPR from the getgo, and they include defibrillator training for we lay people now too.

I suppose I was lucky with this accident. The woman was distressed, but there was no critical injuries ... shock, winded, possible broken sternum, whiplash - but nothing that freaked me out. A friend had rendered assistance the week before in a car v motorbike and had to do the full CPR thing on the biker. He was stable by the time the ambo's transported him, but died in hospital. She was really upset by it.

Do you/would you stop?

Yes. Someone once stopped for my family and showed great kindness. I never forget that.

Do you have First Aid knowledge or training?

Only a very limited amount.

Would you know what to do?

Not really, just cope with it as it happens.

!

Quote:
If it was a major accident yes I would definately stop. Minor bumper to nose probably not.

Same here, though if someone was trying to wave people down in the latter I'm sure I'd help. Might scare them here in Japan though.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
A friend had rendered assistance the week before in a car v motorbike and had to do the full CPR thing on the biker. He was stable by the time the ambo's transported him, but died in hospital. She was really upset by it.

I've done CPR twice and both times they didn't make it. Remember you're really only starting CPR on someone if their heart has already stopped. And regardless of what you see on TV without a quick response from real medical types with plenty of drugs and a defibrillator CPR alone rarely brings them back. And even if you get the heart going again the damage that stopped it in the first place may still kill them. At least you're friend had a go and gave them a chance MB. Believe me that doing CPR for real, rather than just on a dummy, is a rather traumatic experience.

Cheers Mamabear. You are right.

Last time I did my St, John's first aid, we were taught the new version.

They found out pumping 5 times is not enough to get the blood circulate and it's better to puff him a few times and keep pumping for about 30 sec. I think it's now 2 breaths and 30 compressions they teach.

We were also made aware that there is little chance unless the person has immediate (within 10min) access to defibrillator. The survival rate is like 5~10% without it.

Originally Posted By: griller
I'd be more likely to stop back home rather than here in Japan, unless there was no-one else around of course.

The last time I was in UK, I picked up the rental car and went to fill up. I was a bit shocked when people locked their cars to go pay for the petrol. I have never done that before, nor seen it done.