I had a chance to check out some of the ski resorts in Scotland over summer. Of course, no snow there, but it was interesting to see all the same.

I know Scotland isn't perhaps renowned for world-class skiing, but those places are small. And their boasts of "3 person lift" seemed quite chucklesome..... makes you realise just how good the lifts and ski resorts in Japan really are.

Cairngorm

Can someone tell me what the small fences are for? Course layout or for keeping the snow in place?

pie-eater_17.JPG

pie-eater_15.JPG

Lecht

pie-eater_7.JPG

pie-eater_12.JPG

What are those places like in winter? It was cold even in early-August!

the fences are marking the runs and they probably help keep some snow there too. Yeah they are small but when there is nothing else you take what you can get. What are they like in winter.....pretty much the same only colder!! lol

In saying that I have had some quality days in Glenshee when the snow has been over the fences, few and far between though.

You went to Aviemore as well or just to the Lecht?

Aviemore and drove over to Lecht and the Balmoral area as well.

Just looking today at a pamphlet I brought back for the Cairngorms with a curious boast

"If you can ski in Scotland you can ski anywhere. Weather and snow conditions vary enormously and this just adds to the excitement".

lol

As Haggis have one leg shorter than the other the fencing runs vertcal as it makes it easier to catch them because once they hit a fence they turn around and fall over.

The fence down the bottom is to clollect them as they roll down the hill.

If the fencing was horizontal which would make more sense for holding snow. The Haggis would continue to circle the hill and what would half of Scotland eat thay can't just live on tatties, vodka and Iron-Bru

Seemore

Originally Posted By: seemore
As Haggis have one leg shorter than the other the fencing runs vertcal as it makes it easier to catch them because once they hit a fence they turn around and fall over.
The fence down the bottom is to clollect them as they roll down the hill.
If the fencing was horizontal which would make more sense for holding snow. The Haggis would continue to circle the hill and what would half of Scotland eat thay can't just live on tatties, vodka and Iron-Bru

Seemore

rollabout
Originally Posted By: SKI
There seems to be a fair few of those fences. Presumably there's more than enough snow to cover them? Only look about 1m tall...

quite often, nowadays....no.

Seemore, I'd have thot u were scottish with your insider info about our Haggis catching techniques BUT you said Iron-Bru, when all Ginger haired, skirt wearing Scots know fine well its IRN-BRU.......BUSTED!!!! lol

Hi Thursday

The shetland sheep's main food stuff is the scottish thistle (The National emblem).

Although their leaves are very soothing when used as bottom wipes.

The flower (thistle) it self never really breaks down and is passed in minute particles to the wool.

Thus a very rough wool.

Seemore

I wonder why?? lol

Unless you live nearby I wouldn't waste your time making the journey, the weather is shit most of the time so you can't plan a trip. If u live nearby u just watch the weather and when its decent drive up.

I've never been to either, the Nevis Resort isn't actually on Ben Nevis, its on another mountain nearby in the Nevis Range. I think that the Cairngorms gets the better conditions though as there are often still snow pockets left over through summer up there. I think that the Cairngorms ski hill is actually higher than the Nevis Range

Those ski areas have been around for a long time. I'm sure a google search would give you a history. Scottish resorts are not exactly known for great snow conditions though. A bit like in Aus, it can be good at times but overall not the best. The resorts are very exposed, no trees, and not very high so they are often very windy and have freeze/thaw cycles daily. So the result is often very icy conditions. It can be good though and if you lived in Scotland it's certainly be worth heading up after a dump.

as GN said they have been around for a long time, longer than 10 yrs, but their heyday has long passed. Infrastructure is stone age and weather now is more miss than hit, BUT if you live nearby and you watch the weather, you sure can steal some good days on REAL snow. Not the plastic crap that lower Brits wean themselves on before their 2 weeks in the European Alps.

I live basically between Fort William and Aviemore, so have the choice of both. Hit and miss indeed but hey I could live near no skiing. Still worth a go.

Having said that I love my trips to Europe and hoping to check out Japan too.