Tips + service charges (again)

I can't find the old thread but there's lots of new friends to have a good moan on this annoying subject since last year.

I've just had a very delish meal in a restaurant and on the menu it had the following:

"Service charge is not included. For groups of 8 or more, a service charge of 10% will automatically be added to your bill."

Happily, there were just two of us. But that second part is something I have noticed in a few places this summer, but not previously - seems to be a new thing.

Is it then or have I just not noticed it before?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try going to TGI's (god damn hate that place) - they put on a 10% charge regardless of how many people in the group. Think it's just them trying to be "western" with the table charge. Yet ripping you off more.

Gotta be a way out of paying it, except for not going to these kinds of places?

We dont generally have compulsory tipping over here in Oz, but we also dont often get service ...however I got a rude $$ shock last week.

I am refitting/renovating our downstairs bathroom, and saved myself more than 50% on the original quote by shopping around for fittings, that was all good. I needed to pick up my taps from Reece so that the plumber could chase them into the wall - and they were not organised which meant I had to go driving all over the metro area picking on up from this store and one up from that store.

The bath tap/mixer and faucet were on two separate back plates, I had wanted one single back plate, but had been told it was not possible. Somewhere in there due to availability we had switched brands and suddenly the sales girl got all excited and raced upstairs and came back with a tap and faucet on a SINGLE back plate. Because I had switched brands it was now possible (HELLO!) - she could not find the price, but doubted it would be much different from the price I had already paid for the set with two backplates. As I was going to another of thier stores she said she would find out and I could pay/be refunded the difference when I got there. Got there - girl at the desk called her - there was apparently no difference in price - all good smile

I get home. Next day the plumber chases it all into the wall. And two days after that I get an email from her telling me that the price DIFFERENCE is $155.90. Now how do you justify that?

We are talking about something like this:

19309000.gif

As opposed to exactly the same, just broken down the middle.

NOW how does that cost $155 more?

And how do I go about ripping the buggers out of the wall and swapping them over for the cheaper ones?

Personally...I think the sales girl has decided to add in her tip wink

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
I can't find the old thread but there's lots of new friends to have a good moan on this annoying subject since last year.

I've just had a very delish meal in a restaurant and on the menu it had the following:

"Service charge is not included. For groups of 8 or more, a service charge of 10% will automatically be added to your bill."

Happily, there were just two of us. But that second part is something I have noticed in a few places this summer, but not previously - seems to be a new thing.

Is it then or have I just not noticed it before?

You can ask the staff to take off the service charge . I did this in London a few years back. The food was bad, the service was terrible. The waitress called the manager and he told me that I had to pay, I refused and only paid the bill. The clients i was with were quite impressed.

So...what they are saying is:

We want you to tip us, and we would like you to give at least 10% on top of your bill. If you come here in a large group and spend lots of money we give you no choice but to pay at least the minimum of 10% in a tip.

I understand tipping in the US where the staff are underpaid and the expectation is they will make the balance of thier salary in tips (the better the service the better the tip) - therefore the price of the meal etc is comensurately lower. But that is not the case in the UK. Cheeky b@sta@rds.

You can always dispute the service charge on the premise that you were not informed and do not agree - it is not legally binding and you did not receive the service that warrant it.

...which reminds me of an experience yesterday in a gas stand.

It was a JOMO gas stand and there about 10 attendants there, screaming their head off. They basically did a runnin commentary on every thing they did, which was then repeated by their colleagues, all at the top of the voice:

- HE WANTS REGULAR MANTAN

- OPENING THE FUEL CAP

- PUTTING IN THE GAS

- PLEASE WAIT A LITTLE WHILE

- THE TANK IS FULL

- TAKING OUT THE GAS THINGY

- CLOSING THE FUEL CAP

- ETC ETC

not sure i would call it great service, but I thought:

- incredibly hard work to keep that up all day

- how do management get their staff to do it?

- why bother?

In the UK many people don't know how to deal with it all. Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different opinions. At least in the US it seems to be much clearer.

Do hotels expect some kind of tip in the UK?

I only tip if the person does something normally they don't do, or not part of their job. If you are a bellboy, you are supposed to carry my bags. If you are a concierge, you are supposed to tell me where things are. If the bellboy were to help carry, for example, me if I were drunk, then they would get a tip. If the concierge were to take me to the restaurant or bar I wanted to go to on foot, then they would get a tip.

What I am trying to say is, people should have to work for their tip. It's a bonus. I don't get tipped/receive bonus at work for doing my job unless I work hard or complete my work to a standard that is better than expected.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Karnidge its not unclear in the UK, people don't expect tips so if you don't wanna tip then don't. Simple as!! smile

Not sure about that TB.
Lots of restaurants do have on their menus "service not included" and the w/w's do seem to expect a tip.
And lots of people do.
But if they do or not, and how much they give (from 20p to 15% or whatever) is such a big grey area it's just totally annoying.

Hahahaa!!!

That's called Sizzler! (But even then there is SOME level of service).

What a stupid thing to say on a menu.

Where are the business advisors to the resturanteurs?

* People want an all inclusive up front price for menu items.

* They want the ability to leave a tip as a gratuity if the service was beyond exceptional and they really enjoyed it, but to not ever feel it is necessary.

* They want good, fast and polite service.

* They want good food.

If resturants want to increase thier takings then make eating at your resturant highly desirable (drop the service charge, add a dollar to the price of each of the mains, and instruct the staff in brilliant service techniques) ... have a range of prices/dishes to cater for a broader range of tastes and budgets.

Back in the UK I am always amazed at the total apparent lack of management getting staff to be personable. Staff throwing stuff at you, looking at you with contempt, just being cool and looking disinterested. It really is bad in general and actually an embarrassment. Perhaps the management don't give a shit either.

I think I am more alert to this after living in Japan, but still..

Quote:
* They want the ability to leave a tip as a gratuity if the service was beyond exceptional and they really enjoyed it, but to not ever feel it is necessary.

I don't want to do that even.
Don't do it in other shops or services, why in a - probably already overpriced - restaurant.