I'm kinda new here and just about starting to read up on Japan.

This may be a doh kind of question, but is there a resort that people would generally say is representative of the Japanese experience? Seems Niseko is the most popular, but perhaps mini-Oz, which I'm not saying is a bad thing. Nozawa seems to be generally very popular for that 'Japanese experience'. Any other thoughts.

Quality website and forums here by the way, good to find you all. wave

Niseko is definitely the most popular resort still with overseas visitors and many of the companies here are foreign owned and many of the accommodations now available are western design. Niseko is definitely not like virtually any other resort or town in Japan, it is unique in this country. Some love it and some not so much. All depends on what you're wanting from your Japan experience.

Personally when I travel for skiing I'm really only interested in the skiing. Any other cultural experience I may or may not have is a long way down the list of what's important to me.

Still I know one thing for sure. I don't think I could live in any other part of Japan other than the Niseko area. The vibrant expat community here (over 300 foreigners now live here permanently) is one of the main factors I chose to live here.

Actually most of the summer has been pretty dismal. Very cloudy June and July with quite a bit of rain. This last week has been awesome though with temps in the high 20's, low huimidity and clear skies. So looks like we'll get a week or two of real summer weather before it all starts to cool down again!

liptun, I'd say you got some good answers above. Anyone who likes good snow and beautiful scenery will enjoy Niseko during the season, but the debatable point is whether it is actually the full "Japanese experience" you mention as the majority of people on the slopes and in the village are Aussies and other brands of gaijin.

Nozawa, Yuzawa, and Hakuba are to my mind much more like "proper" Japanese mountain towns and so it depends what your priorities are. If you have never been to any Japanese ski resorts then provided you come when there's decent snow, you will love any of these places, I'm sure, (including Niseko).

I'd say Manza, Kusatsu, Nozawa if you want it close to Tokyo.

Shiga and Hakuba for popularity amongst Japanese,

Zao is the king daddy. Worth the effort.

want to spoil yourself with powder... Niseko

snow is snow ... hope you enjoy the +factor experience

i think the folks up above have already covered all the major resorts but just wanted to add my two cents: myoko is another area worth considering.. there are several resorts to choose from within the area + snowfall during a typical winter is pretty heavy for japanese standards..