I like Japanese beer very much. But little did I know that beer was only brewed in Japan in the late 1800s.

Quote:

Beer was introduced to Japan in the mid-1800s. The American primarily responsible for renewing trade relations with Japan, Commodore Matthew Perry, brought several cases of beer to Japan as a gift for the Tokugawa Shogunate. The beverage was so well liked that the Japanese government soon decided to establish a brewing industry. After an extensive search for a suitable area, wild hops were found growing on the island of Hokkaido, the northernmost island in the Japanese archipelago. As a result, in 1876 the Commissioner-General for the development of Hokkaido founded Japan's first brewery in the town of Sapporo. (Coincidentally, the global beer capitols of Munich, Milwaukee, and Sapporo are all located along the 45 degrees north latitude.)

The original government facility was designed by the brewmaster Seibei Nakagawa, who had returned to Japan after studying beer-making techniques in Germany. The first product brewed in the factory was called Sapporo cold beer or German beer, and even some of the early labels were printed in German as well as in Japanese.

In 1886 the brewery was sold by the government to Okura-Gumi, a private trading company. One year later, Okura-Gumi itself was purchased by a group of Japanese businessmen, who then reorganized the brewing operations under the name Sapporo Brewery Ltd. A number of other breweries, which would soon figure prominently in Sapporo's development, also were started during this time, including Nippon Brewing Company Ltd., Osaka Brewery, Kirin Brewery Company, and the Nippon Beer Kosen Brewery.

Ad here's the very building, now turned into Japan's one and only beer museum

3748250030_caf22bed78_b.jpg

3748284548_1ed9d6889f_b.jpg

They have a factory tour at the Sapporo facility. I think you can get the tour in English. When I went years back, I didn't want to wait for English, so went on the Nihongo tour. You get free beer at the end of the tour!