Sometimes this particular Japanese phrase makes me laugh.

Just on TV now there's a program on about "the best curry in Japan". Highly expect all the ads in the program to be by the different currys of course.

Anyway, they started it by saying that today is Umi no hi and then went on to say

ã‚„ã£ã±ã‚Šæµ·ã¨ã„ãˆã°ã€ã‚«ãƒ¬ãƒ¼

(yappari, umi to ieba, curry)

They just make these things up don't they?

(Can someone help with a good translation for the Japanese phrase for those of us who may not know it)

its the same as all the hawaian/polynesian restaurants serving their "Authentic Hawaiian Curry"......eh? Hawaiian curry? When I was there I never once saw a chicken karage curry house!!

OK

I'll put it into perspective for you guys.

translation;

"sure mate, talking about the ocean, Ka-Rei is it, huh !"

It a form of joke called "Da-Jya-Re" where we play with the sound, rhyme ..

"Ka-Rei" has homonyms meaning "curry" or "flounder" .

Do you get it? Flounder is a fish.

You can muck around with the sound, too.

" Da-jya-re o it-telu no wa da-jya-re (da-re-ja) "

translation;

who is cracking a silly joke ?

Sorry, never had any particularly brilliant curry in Japan. I have tried, but it's just not happening.

Like sausages really.

And pies.

And cheese.

So I would say

Japan to ieba, rubbish curry.

I will be having a particularly brilliant one this coming weekend in an Indian restaurant I know between where I live and Preston. Magic.

thumbsup

I don't think the seaside and curry connection is very strong. It just sounds like some crappy link (that word that sounds like "segway") into a feature someone said on tv to fill five seconds. If you're the main caster on a Japanese program, you can come out with any old bollocks and the other presenters will simply agree with you.

Fwiw, always agreeing with the other person is supposed to be the golden rule of improv comedy.