It's been a year since I left and recently I find myself missing Japan. I've gone to a couple Japanese restaurants recently and the "irrashaimase's" got me a bit nostalgic. There are tons of quirky 'only in Japan' kind of things that I miss. I know I'll always visit but living there is another thing.

Any of you that have left or for those of you that know the day will come, what are your thoughts?

Doomo!

I know what you mean, when you live here there are the little quirks that start to get on your nerves, such as obstinate thinking, doing things because thats the way it is, getting a "maybe" answer when you ask a direct question. BUT there are loads of other quirks that are great and I really miss them, really puts on my rose tinted specs and I pine for being back in Japan......so thats why I came back!! smile

Japan was a great place to live, where I spent closer to 12 years.

I miss little things. Food & friends etc.

I have a good mum in law that sends a large box of essentials each month (some Sho Chu would be nice though wink )

Thing is, where I live now is a way better place (for us). 600m from the beach, excellent surf, dolphins, whales (on a daily basis ATM) and just a beautiful place.

In Japan I had to drive hours for all of that. On top of that, I think my kids just love it here. (beach life and fishing etc)

Whilst I am working more hours I still get morning surfs and after work surfs (in summer).

Can you tell that the surfing is an important part!?

Friends are the only thing you can't replace, and in a new place takes many years to build up those good friendships that were made.

I'll be back but only to visit.

I really haven't lived in Japan for the last 25 years, Just a few months visits on a whim... Once I didn't visit for 7 years.

As I get older, I miss it. The obvious ones are food and bath. Sure, the little quirks and the unspoken understanding .... But what I miss is something I cannot retrieve and there's no way back where ever I am. What I do get back are the things that cannot be expressed by English. But then again, what a release I get from talking English even after a few months.

I have a few brains in my head.

oh, yeah, I like it when no one notices me when I'm in Japan. I feel eyes elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I really haven't lived in Japan for the last 25 years, Just a few months visits on a whim... Once I didn't visit for 7 years.
As I get older, I miss it. The obvious ones are food and bath. Sure, the little quirks and the unspoken understanding .... But what I miss is something I cannot retrieve and there's no way back where ever I am. What I do get back are the things that cannot be expressed by English. But then again, what a release I get from talking English even after a few months.
I have a few brains in my head.
oh, yeah, I like it when no one notices me when I'm in Japan. I feel eyes elsewhere.

I know what you mean, although my Japanese is pretty bad, during the day I have a split personality, trying to think in Japanese and converse with my work mates is taxing on the mind, so when I go back and only need to speak english....great!!
I also find that when I'm trying to think of a japanese word, often my mind reaches back into its depths and retrieves a German word from my High School days...which is of no use at all!! lol

Lennox Head is a beautiful place. I miss the Northern Beaches...

Like Indo said it takes many years to build up a friendship if it happens, and living apart people can easily grow apart...

I (and people I knew) used to say "Another day in paradise" when I lived in Oz (depends where you live of course). I ended up missing Japan a bit.

Now I am in Germany, and I miss Australia AND Japan a bit.

What about Australia ? The fresh food. Beach. Rain Forest. Wild Animals. The relaxed attitude. Even the coppers are better in Oz compared to Germany. People are so serious here. but then again, the Germans are bit like the Japanese, and you know, people are not that bad.. just little or major quirks here and there...

TB, you probably are another lost spirit. Homeless in a way...but good on you !

and yes, German bread is still the best. Brod Zeit !

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Lennox Head is a beautiful place. I miss the Northern Beaches...
Like Indo said it takes many years to build up a friendship if it happens, and living apart people can easily grow apart...
I (and people I knew) used to say "Another day in paradise" when I lived in Oz (depends where you live of course). I ended up missing Japan a bit.
Now I am in Germany, and I miss Australia AND Japan a bit.
What about Australia ? The fresh food. Beach. Rain Forest. Wild Animals. The relaxed attitude. Even the coppers are better in Oz compared to Germany. People are so serious here. but then again, the Germans are bit like the Japanese, and you know, people are not that bad.. just little or major quirks here and there...

TB, you probably are another lost spirit. Homeless in a way...but good on you !
and yes, German bread is still the best. Brod Zeit !

haha cheers Jynxx, I reckon I am a wandering Willy. Often on the way to work on a beautiful sunny day here I look up at the sky and think "Another day in Paradise!!" Bearing in mind that I come from Scotland and we rarely see the sun!! I used to think the same when I was in Oz.

Letz get zerious! is a German Catchphrase!

As frustrated as I get about many things about living in Japan, overall I absolutely love it. Don't think I could handle living in the warmer areas down south and certainly not in one of the larger cities though. Living in Kutchan is as close to the perfect lifestyle I've always wanted as I've been able to find. The combination of climate, landscapes and people is for me about as good as it gets.

There is very little I miss about Australia. Of course there are some firends I miss and I certianly miss the range of foods available in Melbourne but that's about it. I haven't been back in nearly 4 years and have no real desire to do so.

Originally Posted By: Indo
Originally Posted By: Go Native
I'm not real fond of my family...

I noticed that!

I think that makes a big difference. I really adore my family and would feel lost without thier presence in my life, whereas Papa can take or leave his.