Well the flights are booked and I am heading back to Japan (fourth time). I am arriving 21 Feb and departing 13 March.

Thinking of Rusutsu, Tomamu and Furano this trip, maybe a day or two in Nisiko but I am pretty much over Niseko now.

Looking forward to the wonderful Japanese culture again.

ASB

• SnowJapan Admin

Nice. I would like to 3 weeks in Hokkaido then as well.

wave

(By the way, just to let you know, if you type the words Niseko now on the Forums they automatically get linked up to the daily report - like it has just now).

If I remember CB loved Rusutsu, so that was helpful.

I heard that Furano is getting there re: patrol, though perhaps not quickly enough.

I have spent a few days at Rusutsu now and much prefer it to Niseko, the grooming there is far superior and the tree skiing excellent, Actually last time I was in Niseko in 2008 the grooming was terrible, I am stopping in at Niseko for a few days to pick up and drop off the hire car, I might pop into Moiawa, that can be a great ski.

Stemik the Aussie season has just got started but there is snow on the ground and skiing happening which is always good in June, I am heading up next weekend and have two weeks booked in my apartment (Falls Creek) in August, I may reduce that by a week now that I have booked Japan.

You get that, with the southern hemisphere winter being the northern hemisphere summer! Strange, hey? wink

Originally Posted By: stemik
ASB...hows the season down there so far?

I spent the most of last season in Furano, I was riding off piste almost everyday and although the ski patrol still don't officially condone it they never really policed it. I realise that Furano has had in the past a rather strict approach to off piste skiing but my personal experience was fine. Also it doesn't take too much effort to find some really good untouched lines at Furano.
Also a good place to base yourself for a week or so, if you get bored of Furano then you have several day trip options such as Ashidake, Kamui, Tomamu and even Tokachidake Onsen.

I am doing my final planning now, + 1 likes to do trips to other winter tourist attractions, unfortunatly we miss many of them going when we do but I am keen to see the Frozen Waterfall they light up near Furano and any other activites people can recommend, we tend to ski one day tour one day etc.

I have a basic plan now of 2 nights in Osaka when we arrive, 5 at Rusutsu, 5 Tomamu and 5 at Furano then 3 at Higashiyama (I have to return there because the rental vehicle is from there.

Any must see non skiing side trips people can recommend.

Not "off-snow" but a side trip to Kamui would be high on my list. PM me for more info if you're interested, mate.