The FOOTBALL Thread (2009-2010)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
It looks like the Sky Four are all going backwards at different speeds. Maybe Chelsea are getting away with just treading water. If all four can't pull something out the bag, it may open the door to Citeh after all. Villa look cash strapped too and last season proved their squad wasn't big enough to go the distance. However, Everton got fifth with their best striker and best midfielder out for most of the season (and without their Merseyside-based manager moaning about it). All ifs, but they might be more of a force this season too.

That was back on July 31. Not too shabby for a change! I didn't see Spurs coming, but the prospect then was Robbie Keane playing for them.

Anyway, a much closer season than normal won by a team with a record number of goals. No Toon, but its been a good year. The first Manchester derby was the best game.

Pool had the worse season for quite a while.

however, i suppose it was promising to see that they conceded the 2nd lowest number of goals, after chelsea.

I'm suggesting that Pool probably have the best defense in England.

chelsea cant actually claim that, they were so busy at the other end scoring goals, their defense was rarely tested!! lol

Quote:
Paul Scholes is set to turn down an 11th hour invitation to go to the World Cup with England after Fabio Capello offered him the chance for a remarkable comeback.

The Manchester United player has not played for his country since Euro 2004 but Capello, who had previously tried and failed to lure Scholes out of retirement, has made one last effort to persuade him to go to South Africa as he fine tunes his provisional squad list.

With Gareth Barry almost certainly out of the tournament after damaging ankle ligaments, England have a lack of experience in central midfield. But Scholes seems certain to disappoint Capello by turning down the opportunity.

It is a measure of Capello’s unease with his midfield options that he made his late bid for Scholes, and looks set to name Owen Hargreaves in his provisional 30-man squad for South Africa when he announces it at Wembley later today.

Turn it down Scholesy!

Will be good for Owen H to get some games though after his 90 second season lol

The worlds footie teams will be trembling at the thought of the England lineup

England's 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Scott Parker (West Ham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).

Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

Oops I'll resurrect the WC thread.

"We had been monitoring him for the second part of the season when he's played very well," Capello said. "We tried to convince him to come back, but he said 'no'. He preferred to stay with his family."

Sounds like Scholesy does that. thumbsup

Scholes massively underperformed for England. Worse then Gerrard and Fat Frank have ever done.

It was a pity because he is otherwise a totally class player.

Yes.

I do like Forlan though, as patchy as he was at United. He scored against Liverpool you know.

Forlan if I remember was really popular.

Perhaps Mr Berbaflops not mighty popularity has something to do with him costing 3454 billion pounds, and still being rubbish.