Quick question - I was asked about availability of larger boot sizes (like a mens Aussie size 12) today and I had no answer - our family has reasonably big feet, but not that big.

A friend is going to Hakuba in Feb and would like to shop in Tokyo for some new snow gear. Are bigger sizes of ski and snowboard boots available?

And what about hiring? Commonly available or should they buy in Falls Creek this August?

I have no problems and I am a size 30cms over here, but saying that, that has been at the more touristy locations, and eventually had to get some of my own when I went into the sticks and found them less readily available. Not unavailable. Less readily.

The most important equipment in ski/snowboarding is BOOTS.

Renting ski/board is a great idea... sometimes you rent to check new equipment. Renting boots a no no. Sure if you are someone who is doing it for the first time, by all means.

Buy your own boots for christsake, that's the best advice for you ! Uncomfortable boots means uncomfortable experience.

I agree Jynxx - which is why we all have our own boots (although I will have to hire ski boots this July - I am gonna trial skiing for the first time)

So ... if renting in Hakuba book them early... what about buying?

If we head down to ochanomizu/ogawamachi ski shop area will I find them pretty readily in February?

Salomon boots are good fitting. I don't know what your feet looks like, but you are a VANS girl and I wear them, too, so assuming we have similar shape feet I recommend them.

The make quality is great. Very comfty. American bootmaker's association recommends them, too.

Go in a shop and try them ...

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Wouldn't rely on it.
Why are they not taking the boots from home?

Not sure - I did not know that they skied - friends from long long time ago that recently got in touch with. And just yesterday discovered they are headed to Hakuba - first timers to Japow smile
I think they are almost ready for new boots and thought why not... but not 100% sure.

We bought 3 pr of boots in the UK when we were there in Jan - mainly because the range was so much better over there - especially (for us) for kids....there is a choice of 'these 3 boys boots and these 2 girls boots, all with laces' last time I checked in Jindy ... in Perth - that is a choice of 'this pair or unisex boots and that is it!'. We REALLY wanted BOAs for the little dudes because it meant parents did not have to do up laces, and also that the kids got that bit more independence.

And we are putting on hold our new board purchasing plans until we get to Tokyo - choice/range/price - all better!

If shopping for size 12 there usually isn't much of a selection, even in Tokyo in Feb. Renting will be even more of a challenge. Personally, I wouldn't leave that up to chance. Strongly advise your friends to think about getting their own before coming here. Imagine getting all the way to Hakuba (or even Tokyo) and not being able to find what you want. It would be a gutting experience. Considering the cost of a ski trip from Australia, new boots aren't really that expensive to buy.

Totally agree with Black Mountain.

Bringing them will also let them enjoy their time rather than having to spend time and possible frustration trying to find some when they are here.

Fair enough Black Mountain.

I shall pass that advice on.

Unless you are a growing kid or your boots have absolutley had it I suppose it is only the first pair that you have that trouble with - as you would always have your old ones if you did not find any new ones that you were happy with!

I reckon I'd rather go through the 'breaking in process' in my home country anyway - nothing worse than boot misery on the trip of a lifetime!

I too am a size 12 and bought size 12 or 30cm ski boots from Victoria in Tokyo, got the custom adjusted too for free. Having said that not all of the same shops sell this size and among about 30 shops I went to only this shop had a size 12 that actually felt right on me. I think in total I found about 3 shops.

Mayvbe better to buy before coming over!

buy the boots that fit you in Oz and take them along..

size 12 (or 30cm) is considered to be on the large side of the boot size spectrum for japan, which means there is not as much demand for large sizes compared to, let's say, a size 9-10, which in turn means slimmer pickings of size 12 boots..

although it's possible to find size 12, you definitely run the risk of not being able find perfect fitting boots and that's no way to be spending your holiday..

btw, comments pertain only to ski boots.. not sure what the situation is for board boots..

Boots are something that I bought locally (at Sno-biz in Brisbane). I have previously bought boots off ebay, and they turned out to be too small.

The other option is sierrasnowboards.com they are pretty cheap, and with the strong AUD vs USD it could mean a bargain.