I'm thinking of spending a few weeks up near Oze in Gunma in winter. (Long story, friend has a place up there in Katashina). Anyhows wondering if anyone is near there and where they like in the area. There seems to be a few places dotted around though generally quite small.

I went to White World towards the end of the season, wasn't too bad. Small and compact resort, nobody there which was great, it looked as if it could be decent after a good dump of snow. Also I hiked round the marshes in September a few years back, beautiful part of the country

White World is a fairly decent place.

Try Kawaba as well.

And Houdaigi.

And maybe Marunuma.

There are quite a few smallish places dotted around Minakamio / Kawaba / Katashina but generally fairly spread out - a car is really needed.

Good snow up there and yes a lovely area.

Personally in that area Marunuma should be your first choice, mainly because of snow conditions, that area tends to get a lot of good powder snow on a good year of course and is one of the first to open and last to close. I haven't skied Kawaba so can't comment but Marunuma is good, Not huge for sure, but big enough to be interesting and some challenging courses! Good for the whole family or just one person or group!

Personally I prefer Kawaba. Snow conditions on a good day there are hard to beat and it is not as busy generally as Marunuma. Best idea - try 'em both!

dunno about Marunuma, would like to go there but i don't have a car and its a nightmare to get to by public transport. I haven't found a Tour company yet that runs buses up there from Tokyo. Kawaba was pretty busy when I was there, not exactly low crowds

Marunuma ain't anything special. It's big thing is that it opens really early and closes really late in the season. Decent snow yes but limited in terrain.