Tanigawadake (Ichinokurasawa), Gunma

This morning we headed south into Gunma and ended up in the Oze and eventually in the Minakami area of the -ken. The forecast was for sun and it was sunny with a lot of cloud in the town areas but cloudy around the mountains.

Tanigawadake is the impressive mountain bordering Gunma (Minakami town) and Niigata Prefecuture (Yuzawa town). A bit further on from the Ropeway that goes up to the diddy ski-jo up there, there are a few viewing points the best one being Ichinokurasawa. Popular with climbers (and also a face that has taken a fair few lives), it is an imposing sight. Unfortunately it was fairly dull for the most part of the time we were there with some fog-like clouds hovering around the top. Still looked good though.

Definitely worth a look if you are in that area. Anyway here's a few photos I salvaged. I intend to go back there when the weather is better, bet it is really beautiful in autumn.

muikabochi_1728.jpg

muikabochi_1739.jpg

muikabochi_1727.jpg

muikabochi_1744.jpg

muikabochi_1741.jpg

muikabochi_1735.jpg

muikabochi_1742.jpg

muikabochi_1736.jpg

muikabochi_1733.jpg

muikabochi_1745.jpg

ahh....bring back memories not at all good. Ichinokurasawa is someimtes callled suicide course.....must have been 11 year ago since my friend and I got stuck on there. Not nice at all.

Didn't you know that before you went stemik?

How did you get unstuck?

It is a cracking area for views. I do some hiking myself at times, but would not tackle somewhere like that.

Did you see the little cemetery like place on the way up to the Ropeway. Tanigawadake has taken quite a few lives.

The little of white patches that is left there looks like it is good and icey - the guys hiking up with snowboards would not be in for a fun time coming back down the little ice blocks there would they? Surely that can not be a safe thing to be doing at this time of year? Surrounded by gnarly rocks and big falls?

My house > Shiozawa Ishiuchi IC = 10 minutes

Shiozawa Ishiuchi IC > Minakami IC = 25-30 minutes

Minakami IC > Tanigawadake = 20 minutes

So about an hour I reckon.

It was 11 years ago, so hopefully i can remember everthing.

i was younger, braver and a lot more foolish. I was working for Hitachi at that time, one of my Japanese collegaues and I decided to seek some adventure in the Minakami area.

I think first day was rafting and MTBing...on the Mtbing we found the (forest) road at the bottom of the Tanigawa-dake. So we new that if we climbed down the side we can hit the track and carry on back to the carpark base area.

We set off in the morning and took the road up to the ski area. We could have taken the ropeway but as i said we were foolish. I guess the hike from the ski area to the top took about 2-3 hours. we then traversed across the mountain top and came to the top of Ichnokuraswa, thinking that this was the course down the hill (i dont remember seeing any signs that it wasnt)we started scrambling down..and i mean scrambling, kind of like jumping on one small tree to another, after about 45 minutes the track became worse..and there was snow cover in the gullies.

Time was pushing on now probably after 3pm - we had no ropes, no more food, hell we had shorts on!

We had to make a decision to either turn back and sleep on the mountain or to continue....I wanted to continue down and take our chances but my friend wanted to turn back....my wife was pregnant at that time and my friend said "Do you want to see your baby?"...that did it we turned back.

45 mins down took about 2-3 hours climbing trees,bushes rock faces!

We arrived back on the mountain bloody, cold and hungry in the evening dusk. No way we could get down that night..

We went to one of the mountain huts and had a cold night there in the darkness.

At dawn we climbed back down the mountain and drove back to Tokyo.

Neither of us spoke on the way home.

Next year we went again and snowboarded down a huge bowl near to the gully!

Not so exciting i know....but it was frightening at that time. For climbing that course you need ropes and mountaineering skills

Next morning at

a mate of mines back home, an experienced climber, was out ice climbing in Glencoe with a friend who was not experienced. My mate fell and broke his ankle in a particularly isolated part of the Glen. This was around 12pm, they were in a place that chopper rescue was nigh on impossible, so he decided to climb out (with broken ankle) and inexperienced mate in tow. Finally made it to safety at 2am!!

Originally Posted By: mina2
Wow. Glencoe looks like a really good area.

Glencoe is beautiful! If there is ever a place that is awe-inspiring to me its Glencoe. Sure its not as big as most foothills in America and Canada etc, but when you are standing at the top or on the chairlift and you look down the valley and see the greatness of it is brilliant. You can actually visualise the glacier moving through the glen.