• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Well after a full day of research (!) and taking into account my parents have been wanting to know what to buy me for my big birthday coming up, I have gone and ordered the 50-500mm.

Oh dear what have I done. veryshocked

Sigma%20150-500mm.jpg

I reckon I might get a lot of fun out of that. It will also help with my arm muscles perhaps.
Expect some bird and animal photos in the near future! wink

your parents are buying and you didnt ask for the Nikkor?? veryshocked shifty

yeah, its a huge piece isnt it? You got anything similar that is in the same ballpark Thurs? I wish I had picked up the D200 when I got my D80 now understanding the differences, and would like a D300 but not going to fork out for the body.

I suppose you are not going for the DX range because you see yourself going to full frame later on? There are infact quite a few DXs with similar range: this new one 10-24mm

DX_10_24_ED_i.jpg

The only non-DX that comes close is this 17-35mm

17-35_28D_ED_01_s.jpg

Ah here's what Ken says

Quote:
Compared to the 12-24mm which it replaces, the 10-24mm is more cheaply built. The 12-24mm was built to semi-pro standards, but this new 10-24mm feels more dinky and I suspect will break if you bang the front of it into anything hard enough. Hey, few people really need lenses that will last 75 years; if you do, you can still buy brand-new manual-focus AI-s lenses that will last longer than any of us.

How important is 10mm versus 12mm? I'm all about wide. 10mm lets you get closer to create images with deeper perspective and even more power than the 12mm end of the 12-24mm. Sharpness, distortion and all that mean nothing compared to the superior point-of-view you can get with a wider lens.

I don't know about you, but every shot I make with my 12-24mm is at the 12mm stop. Hooray for pushing that back to 10mm! These two silly little millimeters are everything; everything else is far less important than the stronger images I can make with those two less millimeters.

So the build... wonder how much difference those 2mm make? Better not look into it, will only tempt me!

Hate it when things I have get updated/upgraded! grandpa