It'the Lenses thread. Say hi.

This weekend my friend showed me his Nikkor 80-400mm lens. Nice it was. Got me wanting it. But he said that lens is actually over 8 years old now and well overdue an update, though I can't find anything concrete online in the rumours on new Nikon gear. Best rumour I could find was "possibly this year" for an updated lens.

I was only able to use it for a few minutes and didn't have my 18-200 to compare, but would really like to compare. Wondering just how much difference there is and if having both would be worth it. (Want to zoooom in more than I can now).

Any thoughts?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you're talking about this one

VR_80-400_45-56D_ED_01_s.jpg

it was released in 2002. I's not a DX so you will have to upgrade your camera to FX to enjoy it fully. However, your DX format would put the magnification up to 1.5 times.

Since my everyday lens is now

AF-S_24-70_s.jpg

I am sticking to this range and the next would probably be the 70-300 range. My current 70-300 needs chucking. The calibration is faulty.

Thats the one thursday (top).

Yes that is why so many people are seemingly hoping for an updated version soon. I might just wait. The 70-300 wouldn't give me less difference than the 80-400 (right?) so I think I might just wait.... not as if I'm desperate.

The worry here is that Nikon has gone FX at the high end and that DX will ultimately be a dead end. When an FX body comes out for under 100,000 yen, it could well be game over.

If you want a say 400mm zoom and have a body with a built-in AF motor (i.e., not a D40, D60 etc), any cheap old zoom from ten years ago will get you in closer for cheap if F5.6 or F6.3 is enough.

Is that just snob talk though thursday? (Real question, I am only just starting to look round and learn).

Yes my lenses so far are Nikkor but while I would like to keep going with Nikkor I am open to other options.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I have the 18-200 as well CB - it's my default lens, really like it.
For wide angle I have the Nikkor 12-24mm which takes very sharp and very wide pictures. thumbsup

same here Muika, but its my only lense, and one that is damn sweet too!!! Ive looked at that lense...isnt it something like F1.8 or 2.2 or something like that? Thats the kind of wide angle Id like. Your wide angle shots are sweet smile

bushpig bought one like that, I dont remember exactly what it was, but from Fattwins place he was taking pics of people on top of Shirouma in Hakuba and over towards Tsugaike. Sweet pics, but from what I hear, youre better off getting a Nikkor. Thats just hearsay cuz I dont know personally.

Right, I'm sure you are better off getting a Nikkor, but they cost way way more (so in a way you'll be much worse off I suppose! haha). That lens you can get for around 90,000 yen which is actually very tempting for some lets superzooming fun.

This is now totally consuming my day! friend

122_small.jpg

I'm sure you're reading the reviews out there.

The price is very good, and looks fun.

I have a 70-300 and a 2x converter. Don't use it much though.

I think BP bought a sausage dog and mistook it for a lens. There's a pic somewhere but can't be arsed to find it.

My bag of toys:

my lovely D700

D700_24_120_front_l.jpg

24mm, lovely smooth metal barrel

24_28D_01_s.jpg

50mm, a bit plasticky and was quite cheap

50_18D_01_s.jpg

24-70 everyday lens

AF-S_24-70_s.jpg

70-300, don't use this much, mines the old discontinued one without the VR

AFS_VR70_300_01_i.jpg

28-200, don't use this much. I dropped this on my balcony while taking some sunsets. The zoom ring is a bit notchy now

28-200g_med.jpg

Think my next toy should be this baby:

VR_80-400_45-56D_ED_01_s.jpg

That last one is what I was looking at. Problem with it is it is getting rather old and the new one ain't on no seeable horizon. I get impatient when I want something. smile

Here's mine while we're at it, love them all

AFS_DX_VR18_200_image_L.jpg

L-021-04.jpg

D_10_01_s.jpg

Well after a full day of research (!) and taking into account my parents have been wanting to know what to buy me for my big birthday coming up, I have gone and ordered the 50-500mm.

Oh dear what have I done. veryshocked

Sigma%20150-500mm.jpg

I reckon I might get a lot of fun out of that. It will also help with my arm muscles perhaps.

Expect some bird and animal photos in the near future! wink