Get this.

I had just pulled over to park on the side of the road outside the post office. Stopped and looked behind to see if there were any cars coming. Didn't see any. Looked on the passenger seat to pick up my wallet and then open the door. Some ojisan in a small truck (you know the kind) had come whizzing round the corner just behind where I had parked at some speed..... and basically crashed into my opening door, and took the whole thing right off.

If I wasn't dreading what happens next, I'd laugh. lol

Wonder how the insurance will see this story.

Yes wow. I remember once an old dude opened his car door apparently without looking when I was approaching his car - I very nearly took his door off. A quick swerve with thankfully no-one coming the other way prevented that.

Bad one. It will cost you something, thats for sure.

Were you were illegally parked at the time?

Did it damage the truck?

Witnesses?

Were you were illegally parked at the time?

>>> No, just by the side of the road outside the po

Did it damage the truck?

>>> Not really just some marks by the looks of it

Witnesses?

>>> No, though the dude seems to be admitting it was his fault

I think you can't just stop by the side of the road though can you? Personally it irritates me when people do so because it creates a big chance of an accident happening such as what happened to you. I failed my first driving test cos someone was parked in the road blocking half of it off and I didn't deal with it properly.

If I was driving past such a car and it opened its door on me, I'd be pretty pee'd off about it. I guess he must have been doing something wrong (speeding, smoking etc) to accept the blame for it.

Well he whizzed from round a corner at what must have been quite high speed - he wasn't there when I checked literally a couple of seconds earlier and he must have been very close as well because the door was only part open. Obviously I need to be more vigilant from now on but I don't think I was being particularly 'reckless'.

As for not being able to stop by the side of the road? Well there are parking spaces for 5 cars clearly marked on this road and everyone uses it to use the post office, so there's nothing wrong there.

If you were in a parking space that's a totally different story. It sounded like you had just pulled over at the side of the road. Sounds like it was the oyaji's fault.

I saw this old lady get runover a couple of months ago by an oyaji in the same kind of truck, she took a real whack and got sent flying, blood was all over the road, I don't think she made it, she was so old.

The guy looked like he had been drinking, could barely walk straight!! There were loadsa j-people around thank god cos I wouldn't have known what to say on the bloody phone to the ambulance!!

Tubby - time to practice your Japanese for "send ambulance now hurry" !!!

Jelly - glad you are OK.

Moral of the story - you have to keep an eye out for MORONS all the time, no matter what. I gave the hairy eyeball to an old lady (didnt realise she was an old lady until the hairy eyeball was already given) today - failure to allow a guy to merge! MAN - that is a pet peeve of mine.

Guy was indicating for ages and started to move across into the space and she just pushed right up on him fromt behind, he had no choice but allow her to drive right into him, or swerve back into his lane - she was totally oblivious.

I reckon MANDATORY tests for people over a certain age. Maybe even start them at 40 or 50 and make them every 5 years revalidation, going down to annual revalidation over 70. Some people scare me.

....mind you I say all that and I treat my car like an office.

Multitask queen I am.

I can phone and make business appointments, book the hairdresser and call my Mum, put on my makeup, eat my breakfast and drink my coffee while checking my diary for the days committments - all on the 25min drive to work in heavy highway traffic.

and you take note of the traffic conditions ... exactly when in that sequence? and for what proportion?

Driving is a FULL TIME occupation if you want to avoid collisions. Sorry, multi-tasking females or not. If you drive FFS concentrate on the task! It is NOT optional to look out for others on the road, a moment's inattention causes death for someone (you or someone else, doesn't matter!).

Yes I know JA.

And while I have done ALL of those things whilst driving to work, I have always paid attention to the road. My car phone is completely hands free right down to the voice activated dialling.

Traffic lights are great for putting on a bit of lipstick.

Drinking coffee, or munching on a to go breakfast (one handed job) is no great stretch - and of course there are times that one even sticks the coffee in the holder and the breakfast in your lap.

I drive every day, and many many city km's (not that I havent done country, but my majority driving is in heavy city traffic) for 23 years. I have had 3 'accidents'.

First two were being rear ended by inattentive drivers.

#1 at a multistory car park in the city, leaving and paying the guy at the exit booth (those were the days) - some Italian Stallion in his hotted up Camaro (could hear him coming rev rev rev rev) just misjudged how long his bonnet was.

#2 I was stopped at traffic lights. Had been for a while, and the stupid bimbo in the convertible mercedes thought that a red light and a car stopped were no good reason to do so herself. That time my work vehicle was pushed into the intersection and I '6 months pregnant' spent the night in hospital making sure the baby was OK.

#3 was technically my fault. It was 12 years ago. I had baby #3 in the car seat and was heading from home, a few streets away to pick up my PrePrimary and Yr 1 boys from school. I stopped at a terminating road -right turn and you are 2 car lengths from another terminating intersection. Looked (lots of parked cars, some serious sunlight) NOTHING - inched forward and next thing you know there is a car right in front of me - must have been doing well over 100km p/hr. I was doing maybe 5km/hr if I was lucky but the damage to her car was from the front wheel arch, across both doors and the rear wheel arch (even though she was stopping for the terminating road. Car was that nasty silver colour (hmm lot like my current car colour) that is hard to see in bad glare. One of those things. No one was hurt, my insurance paid for it, lost demerit pts for being the one who was technically at fault and got a $300 fine. Ohh and when the driver got out of the car and started absolutely abusing me (baby crying by this stage) she REEKED of alcohol.

None the less - in 23 years of above average amounts of driving - I have been at fault in ONE car accident. I have managed to avert countless others almost caused by total numnuts however.

I even had a very very small toddler walk out in front of my car just last night. Appeared from in font of a parked car, walked right in front of my moving car at 11pm at night, father was sitting in the driver seat with the door slightly ajar (perhaps waiting for Mum to finish work). Despite working a no breaks 17 hour day, I did not hit the child.

Your point is taken JA, and I agree - pay attention to the road. But I am a very good driver, and am smart enough to know when and where I am able to multitask safely.

Just popped back in to say I am feeling overly sensitive today...having a cr@ppy run.

Basically working 2 fulltime jobs PLUS trying to be everything to everybody at home because my family is completely dependent and retarded. Feeling like all I want for Mothers Day is to leave home and not be a Mum/wife for a while.

Sorry for above post/over reaction.

Shame I am alcohol and carb free atm, and I gave up smoking 10 yrs ago, or I would crack open a bottle of wine and kick back with a big greasy burger and a 'feel good' smoke.

Whoah, I think I will be a little more careful after reading this one!

Whats with the car now?

Thanks.

It took the door clean off and so not actually such a big job, so they say. I'm not going forward yet though I might take this chance to get a new (old) car so looking into that this weekend.

Its quite a good time to get a new (old) car as secondhand car prices have come down a lot recently due to low car sales and strong yen discouraging exporters.

Something like that happened to me once. I was pulling up to stop at a t-junction, not going over the line, and this idiot totally cuts the corner turning right into the road I was on. Crashes into the front right of my car. Wonder how many accidents there are like that because there's a lot of corner cutting going on.