Phew, I'm back online.

Had a bit of a nightmare the last few days. Day before yesterday, the AC Adaptor on my computer (laptop) died on me. Suddenly. Without having a spare, I basically couldn't use my computer as it was totally dry of power (and had sucked up all the battery power as well for the last few hours I was using it after the adaptor had bust without me knowing it).

What a nightmare! None of the shops anywhere near where I live had one that was compatable so I had to resort to online. Battling all the nihongo sites, most didn't have stock either so were saying it would be 5-7 (business) days before they could get it and send it out. So that was no use. Sony themselves would take that long because of Golden Week. doh

Yodabashi in Akihabara gave me some hope on the phone when they said that they had it in stock --- but they couldn't sent it to me. I either had to go there (which is a long way from where I am) or buy online... but the Yodobashi site had the 5-7 days as waiting time. Grrrr.

After about 3 hours frantically searching all over on the web (friends computer), I found a place somewhere in Nagoya that had one in stock and was willing to send chakubarai. They sent it yesterday and it arrived 30 minutes ago so I am now back up and running.

Made me thing though. I do backups every week of data, but I wasn't expecting what happened to happen. Perhaps it's a good idea to have a backup adaptor as well.....

Relieved.

Adaptors and batteries are things that you just don't want to spend extra on but I know what you went through fukdane. It happened to me a few years back with a Dell. Took about 5 days to get my replacement so you did well by the sounds of it.

the Dell I have, the compnay one, comes with 2 power adaptors. Why? 'cos 1 is too wank to be used with the docking, doesn't have the output, so they call it a travel adaptor and it weighs about 1.5 lbs. The other is just a huge lump.

And each generation of Dell uses a new power adaptor. Gotta love Dell. veryangry

Apparently, my Vaio can use a different adaptor to the one that died -- but no-one had that one in stock either. Ended up getting the same one.

Is there a reason, other than them wanting more cash, to all the huge variety of and ever-changing adaptors?

All very annoying.

Don't know about your one but next time (and for everyone else) check elecom - they do adaptors for most of the major makes and they are around 4-6000 yen in the shops if I remember correctly.

I always worry that if I get a spare adaptor or battery, the laptop itself will go dead, and I'll be stuck with an adaptor and battery that won't work with the replacement machine.

for the cheap compatible ones, don't you worry about the transformer overheating when you're plugged in for say an hour, and then you get that solder smell n stuff.

Hell, Dell even had to recall their lot a coupla years ago and they were made by Sony!

nah, it's always a bit dodgey. Do you remember that exploding Dell and then all the recalls for the adaptors. Even Dell could get it wrong in QC.

Now, third party cell phone batteries definitely need to avoid.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought so too.

Anyway I'm planning on conveniently forgetting about this.

Next laptop I buy though I might get an additional adaptor from the start.